Discussion Board

Volume not obeying device profile

hi ,
    pls help me ..
    in silent profile mode ,game sound is still playing ...pls help me out ..and this issue only on asha 501
    Last edited by nikunjAn; 2013-10-15 at 12:49.

Super Contributor

Re: Audio streaming on Asha devices

Quote Originally Posted by nikunjAn View Post
    hi ,
    pls help me ..
    in silent profile mode ,game sound is still playing ...pls help me out ..and this issue only on asha 501
    So you get different behaviour on Series 40? I would have considered that a "feature" - silent mode is for killing incoming phone call sounds etc, but for a game I expect the sound to play unless turned off in the game.

Is there a way to get the active profile? If so you could change the volume when profile is set as per http://developer.nokia.com/Community...nning_a_MIDlet

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Audio streaming on Asha devices

Hi nikunjAn,

Series 40 and Asha software platform cannot override the general volume of the device. So the application can either choose to mute it self, or use the current sound level set in the volume profile. If the volume profile is set to silent, the application cannot generate any sounds.

I did a quick test on Nokia 501 with the following code, that was placed within a try catch block:

Code:
    Player player = Manager.createPlayer("http://broadcast.infomaniak.ch/radiojazz-high.mp3");
    player.realize();
    player.prefetch();
    player.start();
    The device was not generating any sounds when the profile was set to silent.

Your issue might be a standalone issue of the software version running on your device. I have tested on 10.0.2 (dial *#0000# in order to find the current software version). In case you have an older version, you can try to enable automatic updates from the Phone update option in Settings (updates are automatically pushed via WLAN, but if you are using Mobile date you need to enable this setting).

Or it might be a bug, if you are using a slightly modified version of the snippet above. In order for me to verify, it would be great if you could share a snippet of the code that is being executed when the sound is generated.

Super Contributor

Please do not hijack threads

PS nikunjAn

I have moved this into its own thread, as it was not related to the previous discussion. As a rule, please don't try to add to a largely unrelated discussion.

regards
    Hamish