Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Question Add background process/daemon to an app

Hello everyone,

while still hoping that Nokia will release an API or example on how to create offline notifications for the Belle drop down notification bar, I want to try another way.

Basically I want to create a background process (like a Service in Android), that gets some data from a server (simple RSS feed), analyzes this e.g. counting for unread posts and displays a notification when new are found (or updates a HS widget, etc). And this should be done let's say four times a day or once a day.

Now the question is: What is the best way to approach this? I read something about a Symbian server needed for this but I couldn't find any good example.

Best Regards,
    Sebastian

Re: Add background process/daemon to an app

Could the project at https://projects.developer.nokia.com...tionqmlexample suit your need.

Nokia Developer Moderator

This question is multifold:
    - generally you can autostart any kind of process on Symbian, here is the documentation http://developer.nokia.com/document/...ment_API4.html, someone put it into the Wiki too, http://developer.nokia.com/Community...Management_API, and some success stories in #35 and #39 of http://developer.nokia.com/Community...ation-Signing!
    - of you want it to be a background process, you either want to have a GUI, but automatically send the application into the background, or just create some GUI-less code. In fact I am not familiar with Qt, so I do not know the details
    - for communicating between processes, there seem to be some Qt example, I just opened the examples page, https://developer.nokia.com/Develop/Qt/Code_examples/ and searched for server. After a while you will find QtSharedMemory.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by babylongreece View Post
    Could the project at https://projects.developer.nokia.com...tionqmlexample suit your need.
    In theory this is what I want to achieve. But the Notifications API in this state is no way to go for me as it requires for me to have an own server running where users need to login although this is not needed for the app function at all. AND this is based on a Nokia online solution. If Nokia is closing Nokia Store for Symbian in 2 months, they shut down this API/cloud solution shortly as well... :/

(@wizard_hu_) Maybe it's easier if I give an example: I have an app that's basically an RSS feed reader. It reads just one feed (static, user cannot change it) that lists all YouTube videos of someone and displays this list if the app is running. Now I want to add a kind of notification. This means there shall be a process (or however it may be called, in Android it's a service) that's running even if the app is closed. This process should check e.g. every 6 hours (= 4 times/day) if there are new videos and if there are display a notification or whatever.

I read somewhere where a developers use json query to check if new updates is available in his server whenever the app goes online and if update is available it will alert users about the update.Maybe you can do the same though i myself didn't know what it is all about since i never use it.Just give you an idea.

Now with the mess nokia create in nokia store,it is a matter of time before this service is shutdown.Few weeks ago i tried using nokia drop and surprise it still work.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by babylongreece View Post
    I read somewhere where a developers use json query to check if new updates is available in his server whenever the app goes online and if update is available it will alert users about the update.Maybe you can do the same though i myself didn't know what it is all about since i never use it.Just give you an idea.
    I'm doing this basically but this is to inform the user if there is an app update. What I want now is something checking regularly something and then doing something INDEPENDENT from the fact if the user starts the app or not.

Quote Originally Posted by schumi1331 View Post
    I'm doing this basically but this is to inform the user if there is an app update. .
    Out of topic,can you please share how you do that?.

Regular Contributor

Well, I have a file on my server called version.html (although the format is unimportant, it can be txt, xml, whatever you like). Content of this file is for example: <version>2.2.441</version>. On every start of the app I'm getting the file and comparing the string parts ({2, 2, 441}) with the installed version. If it is newer the app displays an InfoBanner.

Can you please share part of the code how you did it?Like how you create the request and match if the version is latest or not in the phone.With 1st Jan nearing,i don't want to spend to much time on this secondary feature.Hope you don't mind.