Discussion Board

Question Phone as modem - AT command support

I'm looking for any (that still exists on market) phone that support AT-command management in modem mode. I mean that this phone can be tethered to PC and installed as simple modem or serial (COM) port with AT-command exchange support, e.g. Nokia N95. Do modern Nokia phones support this feature? How to know which phone supports AT+CSIM command?
    Last edited by 27007; 2013-10-23 at 09:59.

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Phone as modem - AT command support

All Nokia phones do support AT commands to attach a Bluetooth headset, everything (Handsfree Bluetooth profile) is controlled by AT commands.
    Windows Phone have a rather limited set.
    Series 40 and the new Asha Software Platform (only Nokia Asha 501 at the moment) still offer several commands.

Because the Nokia N95 did not support Generic SIM Access (AT+CSIM) either, I am not sure what your are about? Did you play around with MediaTek based phones, already? My webpage lists some scans: http://www.traud.de/gsm/files/
    Last edited by traud; 2013-10-25 at 13:29.

I had to be more accurate in my previous post and say that the only reason why I need AT-command support is to exchange data between my applet on sim card and PC. I have a working applet and hitherto successfully used Generic SIM Access (AT+CSIM) command, but today it is supported only by several 3G modems (i'm certain about Huawei modems E367, E1550) and not supported at all by majority of phones.

traud, thanks for the link to your webpage, it really useful, but from the whole list of phones i found one or two which still can be found in stores and support CSIM.

What about bluetooth, then Handfree profile in my case can't help me at all, nevertheless rSAP could help. But again rSAP is rearely supported by phones and not accessible from PC (as I understand from specs).

Do i miss something?
    Last edited by 27007; 2013-10-29 at 08:30.

Nokia Developer Champion

SIM-Access (SAP) works from a Windows computer as well, however, you have to pair with a 16-digit passkey. If you need GSM network, you have to forward the SIM to another GSM mobile, as well! Again, your only option is MediaTek Feature Phone (MAUI). Their chipset support AT+CSIM – at least it says so. I never tested it. MediaTek is re-used by many big players like Motorola, LG, TCT (Alcatel) and so on. If you do not need GSM network, you could place the SIM into a USB chip-card reader and use that API. Did that help?

traud, thanx a lot for your replies.

Strage, but there is not much information regarding SIM-Access from PC. I looked through Broadcomm SDK, Windows API, Atheros SDK - nothing about SIM-Access. In general is it vendor specific? May you help with any info regarding this topic. Is this information is covered up by vendors, why?

In addition, how can i be shure that if device supports rSAP it also supports AT+CSIM correctly, especially what about Nokia phones or it is only MediaTek Feature Phone (MAUI) specific feature?
    Last edited by 27007; 2013-10-30 at 07:42.

Nokia Developer Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 27007 View Post
    Is this information is covered up by vendors, why?
    Because it is just an Bluetooth RFComm port you have to open. All you need is the channel ID. Then you have a serial port, do a bit of framing and you have full access to the SIM. SIM-Access is nothing special. Nevertheless, SIM-Access is rather useless for many because your mobile phone goes offline at the same time and the information on the SIM are a bit limited. It is like having a card-reader via Bluetooth instead of USB.
    can i be shure that if device supports rSAP it also supports AT+CSIM correctly
    Do not get that one, sorry: Please, try again!
    The SIM-Access Bluetooth Profile (SAP or sometimes rSAP) has nothing to do with AT commands anymore. It is a direct connection to the whole SIM, wrapped in a protocol described in the SAP specification. Was that an answer?
    Is it only MediaTek Feature Phone (MAUI) specific feature?
    Some MediaTek MAUI devices state, they support AT+CSIM.

The SIM-Access Bluetooth Profile (SAP or sometimes rSAP) has nothing to do with AT commands anymore. It is a direct connection to the whole SIM, wrapped in a protocol described in the SAP specification. Was that an answer?
    Exactly! I should take time and go deeper with SAP specs, because i thought that communicating with sim via SAP just like via serial port, no diference. That's where i was extremely wrong.

Nokia Developer Champion

Yes, it is a special framing spec, they reinvented the wheel. However, it is a very tiny layer which can be implemented in an afternoon. Nevertheless, some implementations do additional resets and you have to start with the communication over again and again. Once again, the various implementations and their bugs make SAP a bit complicated.