Discussion Board

Imei Specific Symbian Certificate

Did anyone know how to create a symbian certificate that tied to the phone imei.With nokia store closing soon there is no way to sign the app.I can create a certificate with openssl but can it be use to tied it to the phone imei.Do anyone have experieced having their app sign at versign or thawte and how much they charge?Actually my main concern is the imei as create a self cert should be easy but wanting it to work on certain phone only is giving me a headache.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Imei Specific Symbian Certificate

There are more than one kind of signatures, and this board does not really help in deciding which one you mean.
    Based on that you mention Verisign and Thawte, some may assume you are asking about Java. However I am not aware of IMEI-constrained signing for Java, but you can try asking on the Java boards.
    Symbian C++ (and Qt) developer certificates are bound to IMEI, and I hope they are still issued by Symbian Signed until the end of this year, http://www.symbiansigned.com - however in this case I do not know why you mention Verisign and Thawte.

I'm talking about the certificate in symbian/qt apps.I mention verisign and thwate because i visited their website and assume they provide app signing like symbiansigned service.Even after 1st jan,i can still sign the app with qt development certificate or create my own cert with openssl.The main problem is how to create a cert like developer cert which only allow app installation with specific imei.If the imei does not match "certificate constraint" will pop up.This is to make sure previous users is able to install the app and even if they share the sis files,it will not install on other phone.Hope this explain a lot

I have not seen any tool which would allow doing this (apart from symbian signed), anyway, if you know the IMEI's you could always do the checking inside the application rather than in the certificate. Then if you make the list updatable over internet, update the installation base also after you have made the packed.

Also if it is normal self-signed certificate, its really easy to remove, and re-sign, thus it would not really work as protection anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    I have not seen any tool which would allow doing this (apart from symbian signed)
    Then before there is a nokia store how all those developers sold their apps on their website that need us to send them phone imei so then can send us unlock code or someting like that

anyway, if you know the IMEI's you could always do the checking inside the application rather than in the certificate.Then if you make the list updatable over internet, update the installation base also after you have made the packed.
    Time is essence with just two month before nokia closing down.I assume this would need to be done c++ which could be difficult.

Also if it is normal self-signed certificate, its really easy to remove, and re-sign, thus it would not really work as protection anyway
    Not if i use protected Uid and sign it using "official certificate" at verisign or Thwate(if that is even possible),not some self-sign certificate

Quote Originally Posted by chinster View Post
    Then before there is a nokia store how all those developers sold their apps on their website that need us to send them phone imei so then can send us unlock code or someting like that
    Back then the developer certificate worked differently, and there were no UID restrictions, thus you could make a sis with test range UID and distribute it unsigned. Or you could indeed use Symbian signing, to actually sign it and then ship it fully signed.

Quote Originally Posted by chinster View Post
    Time is essence with just two month before nokia closing down.I assume this would need to be done c++ which could be difficult.
    Not if i use protected Uid and sign it using "official certificate" at verisign or Thwate(if that is even possible),not some self-sign certificate
    if you would have tool, then others would as well, and there is no difference on removing different kind of signings. So I would suggest considering the option I was suggesting still.