Discussion Board

how old Nokia phone send SMS (procedure) with intervention from SIM card

Dear community members,

I have developped a STK applet that registers to MO SMS Control by SIM which is supported by Nokia phone. In my test, I use 2 different models:
    - Nokia 1208
    - Nokia 1280

My applet is very simple, when Nokia user write and send a SMS, it will fire the MO SMS control by SIM event and the SMS parameters will be passed to the SIM to ask for permission before sending it. my applet then will be called because it registers to this event, it reads the parameters of SMS and modifies the SMSC number. It returns to the Nokia phone with the status 'allowed with modifications'. Nokia phone will replace the SMSC number and send the SMS.

My applet works fine with Nokia 1280 which means Nokia 1280 replace the SMSC address that it reads from the phone (I put a false number) with the one provided by the SIM, message sent with delivery report. But the Nokia 1208 didn't behave like Nokia 1280, it informs that message sending failed. Using spying tool, I know that the two models receive the same response from the SIM.

The two models support the MO SMS control by SIM. I can't explain why because I don't understand about the mobile phone system.
    Firstly, I would like to know whether the SMS sending procedure is exactly the same across different model of the sam 12xx series?
    Secondly, If some one would suggest me some possible malfunctionning sources of this strange behavior with Nokia 1208

Thank you in advance and I highly appreciate any help from you.

Best Regards,
    HBLE

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: how old Nokia phone send SMS (procedure) with intervention from SIM card

I actually have no idea on what you are talking about, we generally do not provide 3rd party developer offerings for the platform which these devices are using, thus it would also mean that in general we would not be providing any developer support.

Also how would that application benefit the user ?

For me it sounds that it is not something that user would normally like having in their devices, since even when you are roaming etc. you will always use the SMSC number of the operator, i.e. the one that is in the SIM card.

In fact, The operator asked us to do this kind of SIM applet because they observed some kind of fraud which modified the SMSC to send SMS freely. What the operator want is that, before the mobile phone sending out the SMS, this must be passed to SIM to verify if the SMSC is the right or not.

To be more precise (as they described to me), some handsets allow the SMSC to be updated and the updated value is stored on the handset which leads to the situation in which, SMSC value stored in the SIM (EF SMSP) is different from the one stored in the handset. The subscribers realize that by using the value stored on the handset, they can bypass the network and not be charged for sending SMS.

The objective of the applet is all that, verify the SMSC, if it's not a good one, replace it and orders the SIM to send this SMS to the assigned SMSC. To do this, I use the event MO SMS Control by SIM. What seems strange to me is that, my SIM applet works fine on some Nokia models but not all, for instance Nokia 1208. Using spy tool to catch the communication between the SIM and the Nokia, I found that the applet behavior is consistent across all Nokia models in test. Some Nokia models sends successfully the SMS by replacing the right SMSC provided by the SIM, but the model 1208 doesn't. To test, we modified the SMSC stored on the SIM to a false number.

I can't explain this phenomena because I'm not mobile device developper. I just want to ask about how the mobile phone send the SMS? and in the case of SIM card intervention like this, how can Nokia phone handle it? Why some Nokia models (like 1280) forge the SMSC with the one provided by the SIM while some don't (1208)?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
    HBLE

Nokia Developer Champion

Nokia uses several different (historically grown) operating systems, even in similar price range. I guess, that is the reason for your observation. Nevertheless, we cannot help any further because we are all ‘consumers’ like you. One way is to escalate this via a support ticket or even let the operator get in contact with local Nokia.