Discussion Board

Symbian Signed program will close on January 1, 2014

From January 1, 2014 and it will no longer be possible to publish any new content or update existing content for Symbian and MeeGo on Nokia Store. The Symbian Signed program will close on the same date. For more information see this blog.

Regular Contributor

Re: Symbian Signed program will close on January 1, 2014

Pointless to provide the link if the blog itself is stingy in providing more info.All the blog mention is how nokia very happy making Symbian developers miserable by forcing them to switch to asha and window.Even the poster just keep mum with no response or reply.

The point is that not everyone in the Symbian community had seen the blog (I had a message from a few developers who only found out about this last week). Posted here to broaden distribution.

I hope Nokia will find a way to let developers sign the apps with a decent number of capabilities, so that they won't ask/instruct users to hack/reflash their phones.....
    all the best,
    pg

Quote Originally Posted by hamishwillee View Post
    From January 1, 2014 and it will no longer be possible to publish any new content or update existing content for Symbian and MeeGo on Nokia Store. The Symbian Signed program will close on the same date. For more information see this blog.
    Any more details on the Symbian Signed program closing, do you just stop the signing service or will the whole symbiansigned.com site be taken down? If so, will somebody else (Nokia Developer?) handle UID allocation from the unprotected range to developers who wish to keep creating self-signed applications?

Regular Contributor

Untitled.png

This snap shot is from symbiansigned site.So it is confirm i guess that all symbian sign service related is closing down.

Lightbulb Developer certificate in 2014

Hi,
    Symbian signed will close in 2014, how can i obtain new devcert for new IMEIs ?
    C++Beginner (MS Access/FoxPro,VisualBasic Developer) Carbide V2.7,S60 3rd MR SDK/Nokia C5.00-5mp,6120c

Super Contributor

Re: Developer certificate in 2014

Quote Originally Posted by PACALA_BA View Post
    Symbian signed will close in 2014, how can i obtain new devcert for new IMEIs ?
    I assume that you can't (any longer). In other words, closing Symbian signed means that you'll only be able to create self-signed apps with whatever capabilities are allowed for self-signed apps + also that the Nokia Store will no longer be available as a distribution channel for new apps or new versions of existing apps. I don't know (the blog post doesn't say) when Nokia will take down the existing Symbian content in the Store, or whether it'll be left for Microsoft to do eventually.

The blog post is also not clear on what the impact is for J2ME or WRT apps for Symbian based devices. That is, will Nokia also prevent new Java apps or updates for Symbian based phones, or will that still be possible (for the time being).

In any case, this decision will effectively stop Symbian/S60/Qt app development for any commercial or corporate purposes.

Nokia Developer Champion

Any ideas as what will happen with the content id's remaining in the Symbian Signed account. As per the blog if we have any unused paid technical support tickets we can use them for WP/Asha, but are 'tickets' here are referred to as content id's? if yes then what is the procedure to do the same

Quote Originally Posted by vineet.jain View Post
    Any ideas as what will happen with the content id's remaining in the Symbian Signed account. As per the blog if we have any unused paid technical support tickets we can use them for WP/Asha, but are 'tickets' here are referred to as content id's? if yes then what is the procedure to do the same
    The tickets referred to in the comment "If you have any unused paid technical support tickets, you may use them for Windows Phone or Asha developer support." have nothing to do with Symbian Signed. These are the tickets that you might have purchased for technical support on the platform through Nokia Developer.

As I understand it the content IDs will no longer be useful for anything - you can't use these for anything other than Symbian, and Symbian signing is no longer available.

Nokia Developer Champion

Hmmm ok. Not sure but can't symbian signed take those content id's back and return the amount.Though i have asked this at symbian.signed@nokia.com but cannot expect a reply soon or even a reply.

Quote Originally Posted by vineet.jain View Post
    Hmmm ok. Not sure but can't symbian signed take those content id's back and return the amount.Though i have asked this at symbian.signed@nokia.com but cannot expect a reply soon or even a reply.
    I don't believe so because the content ID money goes direct to the certificate authority - not Nokia. ie We don't have the money after you purchase them.

Quote Originally Posted by TongMuan View Post
    Any more details on the Symbian Signed program closing, do you just stop the signing service or will the whole symbiansigned.com site be taken down? If so, will somebody else (Nokia Developer?) handle UID allocation from the unprotected range to developers who wish to keep creating self-signed applications?
    Symbiansigned.com now redirects to the blog post, so obviously the UID allocations are not handled there, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by TongMuan View Post
    Symbiansigned.com now redirects to the blog post, so obviously the UID allocations are not handled there, at least.
    Yes, they are not handled anywhere.