Discussion Board

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: LWUIT: Loading Images on Background Thread

It is important to remember that Asha is not Android. Built-in applications are not Java-based, so neither the functionality nor the performance is comparable with whatever a Midlet can do.

I've found that I can avoid the "file not found" exception by inserting a Thread.sleep(1000) at the beginning of the scaleFinished() listener. Not sure why this helps, but it demonstrated something interesting. As the images slowing load on the grid, 1 per second, I am unable to scroll or interact with the grid in any way.

Why is this locking up the UI?

Nokia Developer Champion

the ImageScaler API works Asynchronuasly which mean that you have a callback/listener mechanizm to know when the actual scale was finished and the file was created, it seems to me from your description that your "not finding file" and have to wait 1 sec to get file is that you try to use it in a synchronized way i.e. trying to read the file right after you made the call to the ImageScaler API.
    you should use the addListener(ImageScalerListener listener) to add a listener and know when the file is ready and only then read it.

I'm already using the ScaleFinishedListener.

In an effort to narrow down the cause of this problem I did some experiments. I removed everything from my background thread except Image.createImage(). If I do this, I experience the same problem. The UI locks up until all images have been loaded into memory. However, if I remove the calls to Image.createImage(), and throw a Thread.sleep(1000) in there, the problem disappears; I can freely scroll while the background thread runs.

So clearly the problem is Image.createImage(). Maybe it is just using too much memory/CPU trying to load in these large images? The gallery app doesn't seem to have this problem. And I still don't understand why it's interfering with the UI.