Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Weird "Battery Discharge Time"

Hello

In order to get the time since the last device reboot, I'm using the following code snippet:

Code:
    this.Items_HAL.Add(new ItemViewModel() { LineOne = "Time since last reboot", LineTwo = string.Format("{0} d {1} h {2} min", (System.Environment.TickCount / 1000 / 60 / 60 / 24).ToString(), ((System.Environment.TickCount / 1000 / 60 / 60) % 24).ToString(), ((System.Environment.TickCount / 1000 / 60) % 60).ToString()) });
    As you can see, I'm calculating this information by using the system's TickCount. According to the documentation, this is a 32-bit signed integer containing the amount of time in milliseconds that has passed since the last time the computer was started.

Anyway, running the aforementioned code on a Windows Phone 8, I get something weird like this:
    10675199 d 2 h 48 min --> the number of days is much too high

Can someone help me to figure out the problem?

Thanks,
    Patrick
    Last edited by patrickfrei; 2013-11-16 at 22:29.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Weird "Time Since Last Device Reboot"

That number does not seem like something what you can get via dividing a 32-bit integer with 1000*60*60*24.
    e.g. 10675199 is a 24-bit number, and if you multiply it back, the result is 922337193600000, an 50-bit number.

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Weird "Time Since Last Device Reboot"

Interesting - what device are you seeing the issue on? I ran your code inside a MessageBox and it worked on both my 1020 (GDR3) and inside the Emulator (GDR2).

Can you give us the raw value System.Environment.TickCount gives on your device?

Regular Contributor

Re: Weird "Battery Discharge Time"

I'm really sorry, but I've just seen that I've provided the wrong code...

Here's the correct one:
    Code:
    this.Items_General.Add(new ItemViewModel() { LineOne = "Battery Discharge Time", LineTwo = string.Format("{0} d {1} h {2} min", Battery.GetDefault().RemainingDischargeTime.Days, Battery.GetDefault().RemainingDischargeTime.Hours, Battery.GetDefault().RemainingDischargeTime.Minutes) });
    It's the battery remaining discharge time that's so high. I've seen that the retrieved value is only so extremly high, when the phone is connected to a charger. Anyway, this behaviour is really strange...
    Last edited by patrickfrei; 2013-11-16 at 22:28.

Nokia Developer Champion

Well, it should basically be Infinity, given that the phone won't discharge at all when it's connected to the charger. I would suggest to simply set the value to a fixed symbol when you detect the phone being connected to the charger.

Regular Contributor

Yes, that's a good idea. Will do this. Thank you for your help.