Thread: testing 1080p

testing 1080p

Is there an emulator yet?

I've got my assets all done, and code to use the right ones in
    but no idea how to test?

mac

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: testing 1080p

Unfortunately there isn't a dedicated emulator for testing this. The sample project on dynamic layout is using the 720p Emulator to simulate 1080p, given that it's using the same aspect ratio.

The detection of the emulator there is done in the ScreenSizeHelper that also handles the detection on actual devices. To discern the Emulator the following code is used:

Code:

// Use WVGA emulator to simulate small screen and 720p emulator to simulate big screen
                    if (Microsoft.Devices.Environment.DeviceType == Microsoft.Devices.DeviceType.Emulator)
                    {
                        _screenSize = (App.Current.Host.Content.ScaleFactor == 150) ? 6.0f : 0.0f;
                    }
    You can find the whole code sample at https://github.com/nokia-developer/d...chive/v1.0.zip

I guess i want to know that the right assets are being used, I managed to sneak one app onto a 1520 at apps world - the 720p version scaled just fine.
    The one I'm working on now (a monogame game) i want to use native resolution so I've a separate sprite sheet - the code handles any size with scaling anyway - but i want it to be pixel for pixel
    as then its not having to resize every sprite every frame. which does have a minor hit on performance.

I'm 99% certain it will work, i guess easiest thing is to alter the 1080p sprite sheet to look different (mark one sprite) and get someone with a 1520 to beta test it when they are out.

Nokia Developer Champion

I was more thinking about Apps that would adjust the layout on 1080p. I fear for your use case you'll have to wait for the emulator or use an actual 1520 for testing (as you already mentioned).

well i found a sort of way to test its
    i ported the monogame app to android and tested it on a 1080p android device and it used the correct assets
    so presumably it will work dandy on 1520 too

BTW monogame to android was super easy, once i got the dev environment set up