Discussion Board

PlatformRequest() over Wi-Fi without internet

Hello champions/developers,

I am developing a S40 app which is to be connected to a Wi-Fi Router. I have not connected my Wi-Fi router to internet.
    I can download all type of files from router without packet data (sim card) just Wi-Fi connectivity, but want to install apps from it. i.e. call .jad from router.

The app installation is successful over Internet and Wi-Fi (when connected to internet)-
    .jad is downloaded by platform request(), parsed by OS and downloading of .jar starts, n then successful installation.

But in my case, When i give a platformrequest(_____.jad) call to router without packet data or Internet Access point, following happens-

1. it gives me a prompt of conventional downloading. i.e. Select target folder.
    2.When i select the target directory to download, the .jad file is downloaded and saved as ".ext".
    3.Prompt is displayed to Open the file, but the .ext file cannot be opened.

I guess the problem is with the router which i am using. it is not providing Internet Access Point.
    If so, How can i make my Wi-Fi connection(without internet) work similar to the one which is with the Internet. Is there any Way to set any properties or ID's to the router.
    Last edited by abc@12345; 2013-11-21 at 05:37.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: PlatformRequest() over Wi-Fi without internet

Do not worry, the phone does not care if your router is providing Internet access or not. What it cares about is the MIME type for the .jad file, see http://developer.nokia.com/Community...n_mobile_phone. So check the settings of your router, and if you are lucky, there will be a way to provide text/vnd.sun.j2me.app-descriptor as MIME type for the .jad. If you are there, you can also set the MIME for .jar, but that is probably less important.

wizard_hu_,
    I could set the MIME extensions to the server (i.e. in IIS). But can you please suggest a way how to get into the settings of router or configure it.
    Thanks in advance.

wizard_hu_,
    I could set the MIME extension in the IIS to the Web server and get .jad and .jar. But can you please suggest any possible way to configure the router with this MIME settings as the router is not a server.

Nokia Developer Champion

MIME type is something that belongs to the http stack and if you dont have an http server then what does it even mean?
    i dont even understand your initial post about you being able to "download files from router" is your router also an http server? does it have disk space storage?
    are you downloading the files from a pc also connected to the wifi router? if so then that pc is basically your http server and you should configure your mime type on it accordingly.
    Heard of DVLUP? Join here

Nokia Developer Moderator

Before editing, post #1 contained
    Quote Originally Posted by original
    I can download all type of files from that pendrive through router without packet data (sim card) just Wi-Fi connectivity, but want to install apps from it. i.e. call .jad from router (jad and jar are stored in pen drive).
    so yes, the router has web server functionality.
    And actually it is the user's manual of the router which you may want to check, here we know at lot about Nokia devices, but have little chances with a generic Wi-Fi router (you have not even specified its brand and model).

Thanks wizard_hu_,
    I Set MIME extension in the router and bingo...
    Thanks a lot. Cheers.