Discussion Board

Question Image Slideshow control for Windows Phone apps using C# and XAML

Hi,
    I want a control inside my Windows Phone application that works like an image sliding control.
    In the control a number of images will be placed and the control should have following functionalities:-
    Image should slide from one image to another after some time interval. (Possible with pivot Control and using DispatcherTimer)
    On swipe of finger from left to right or vice versa the image should slide accordingly. (Possible with Pivot Control)
    When the image is sliding from one image to another (either by swiping or after some time interval) the next image should be in continuation to the first one and should have a sliding effect (means should not load immediately)
    I am able to make a control that solves the first two conditions of the requirement with the help of pivot control. Only problem is when we slide from one pivot item to another the next pivot item is loaded only after the swipe is complete or the ticker action is complete. There is a gap between two images while sliding. I want the images in continuation.
    Same thing I tried with the Panorama control as well that gives the sliding image effect and the images are in continuation. but I am unable to change the panorama item on ticker with a sliding effect. It changes from one panorama item to another immedialtely without any sliding effect.
    Please help me out in getting this done.
    Thanks in advance.

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Image Slideshow control for Windows Phone apps using C# and XAML

How about trying the FlipView control which is part of the modified WP Toolkit...

https://github.com/Kinnara/WPToolkit

If you download the source, you'll see there's a demo app which should give you an idea of what to expect.

Hi,

Will try this out if it works. Any othe way of doing it by creating animation? I did animation for Panorama control, it is giving the effect of sliding but next item is getting loaded only after fist is slided to the left.

Thanks & Regars,
    Jatin Juneja

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by jj2001 View Post
    Will try this out if it works. Any othe way of doing it by creating animation? I did animation for Panorama control, it is giving the effect of sliding but next item is getting loaded only after fist is slided to the left.
    The problem with trying to use either the Pivot or Panorama for images is that these controls were never designed for this kind of use. If you load 10 images into a Panorama (each in it's own PanoramaItem), all images get loaded even if you can't seem them - so if you load many images, you'll run out of RAM and your app will crash (or never get certified).

With a Pivot, PivotItems are loaded when needed but there are still performance issues when you go above 7 items.

The FlipView was designed with images or simple content in mind and should handle performance (virtualisation) properly. If it doesn't suit your needs, then you should look at the LoopingSelector which is part of the WP Toolkit...

http://www.geekchamp.com/articles/wp...ucture-and-api

I'd recommend using a pre-built control over a custom one. But if you do go the custom route, please make sure it looks and feels like other controls on the platform (ie. look at other built-in apps for something similar).

Regular Contributor

I haven't tested this yet, so not sure if the animations are better - but do look at this MSDN sample app: http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/wpapp...ample-359fda1b
    It has following control MediaViewer class: A control which displays content in a page-by-page fashion similar to the built-in picture viewer. It supports an optional header and footer, and in between it renders items supplied by your app. This control also has the ability to allow users to pinch zoom when viewing items. The MediaViewer is a virtualizing control, so it loads only the data it needs, and scales to very large sets of data.

Nokia Developer Champion

Telerik RadControls for Windows Phone has a control called Pagination, that could help in slide.

Telerik Pagination for Windows Phone

@saramgsilva
    Microsoft MVP - Visual C#
    Nokia Developer Champion

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response. I tried with Looping Selector but that is not giving the same look and feel. So, now I am trying with WPToolkit by Kinnara Fork.

I downloaded WPToolkit by Kinnara Fork's with Nuget Package Manager but I am not getting how to reference it inside the project. FlipView or any other control how to get it?

I never used downloaded any package from Nuget Package Manager and used it in the project.

Please help.

Thanks

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by jj2001 View Post
    I downloaded WPToolkit by Kinnara Fork's with Nuget Package Manager but I am not getting how to reference it inside the project. FlipView or any other control how to get it?

I never used downloaded any package from Nuget Package Manager and used it in the project.
    All NuGet does is a) download the assembly b) then reference it within your project. It also makes packages easier to upload at a later date.

For examples on how to use these 'extra' control, have a look here...

https://github.com/Kinnara/WPToolkit...Sample/Samples

It should just be a matter of copying the code from the examples. Make sure you copy the assembly references at the top of the XAML files as Visual Studio won't add them for you.