Discussion Board

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Encrypted SQLite in WP8

Quote Originally Posted by nikita.m View Post
    Hey Guys,
    Good news here. I contacted SQLite team and together we were able to compile a dll out of sqlite3 and SEE source code.
    Great news Nikita!!

But i don't think i can post the procedure here since the library is licensed.
    What do you mean licensed? I though that SEE was free to use as ong you keep a reference to it on your project.

There is a couple thousand dollars license for the source code I think but the binaries are freely distributable...

Will update you once i find something.
    Please do And if you can also provide a bit more info on the licensing it would be interesting.

Do I see a Wiki article in the plan? hint hint

Hi Joao and theothernet,

Quote Originally Posted by joaocardoso View Post

What do you mean licensed? I though that SEE was free to use as ong you keep a reference to it on your project.

There is a couple thousand dollars license for the source code I think but the binaries are freely distributable...
    There are no SEE binaries available. Its just plain c source code available on their front. That's where this story started!
    This is what their license text reads "The core SQLite library is in the public domain. However, the extensions needed to read and write an encrypted database file are licensed software. You should only be able to see this software if you have a license. If you do not have a valid license you should delete the source code in this folder at once.

Your license is perpetual. You have paid a one-time fee that allows you to use and modify the software forever. You can ship as many copied of the software to your customers as you want so long as you insure that only compiled binaries are shipped (you cannot distribute source code) and that your customers cannot make additional copies of the software to use for other purposes.

You can create multiple products that use this software as long as all products are developed and maintained by the same team. For the purposes of this paragraph, a "team" is a work unit where everybody knows each others names. If you are in a large company where this product is used by multiple teams, then each team should acquire their own separate license."

Quote Originally Posted by joaocardoso View Post
    Do I see a Wiki article in the plan? hint hint
    I have dropped a mail to the SEE team regarding sharing the build procedure and usage. I will get back as soon as i get a reply.

This is what their license text reads "The core SQLite library is in the public domain. However, the extensions needed to read and write an encrypted database file are licensed software. You should only be able to see this software if you have a license. If you do not have a valid license you should delete the source code in this folder at once.
    So... does this means that in order for you to use this, you will need to pay for the license? Or will the good fellows at SQLLite provide us with the compiled DLL so we can use it for free?

The license of the source code costs if i'm not mistaken about $2000 right? According to this page that is: http://www.hwaci.com/cgi-bin/see-step1

Nokia Developer Champion

and that your customers cannot make additional copies of the software to use for other purposes
    To me that seems to indicate that you're not allowed to ship a binary version that can be used for other purposes than those of your own applications. Would be nice to get some clarification on this.

Quote Originally Posted by SB Dev View Post
    To me that seems to indicate that you're not allowed to ship a binary version that can be used for other purposes than those of your own applications. Would be nice to get some clarification on this.
    Most likely. They simply did not want to risk missing something via explicitly listing -say- compiled object files or static library, but gave this covers-all-kind-of-reusable-binary-distribution description instead.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12