Discussion Board

Switching from Buy/Try model to Free for a promo period, then back to Buy/Try

I've got an app currently in the store which is using the buy/try model.
    I'd like to make the app free for a short "promo" period (e.g. for a month), and then (probably) switch back to the buy/try model when the promo period ends.

So, my two questions are:

1. When I switch to the free model, what will CurrentApp.LicenseInformation.IsTrial report?
    My guess is that users installing the app when it's free get still get a "license" and that IsTrial will be false.
    Is that right?

2. When I switch back to the buy/try when the promo period is over, will users who installed the app when it was free still be registered by the store as having a full license?
    In other words, will changing the pricing model affect a license previously obtained by users?
    My guess is that licenses issued by the store to users who installed either the app when it was either paid-for or free are totally unaffected by pricing model changes - is that a correct assumption?

These are probably very obvious questions, but I've got no way to test my assumptions, so any feedback would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Russell Archer

Re: Switching from Buy/Try model to Free for a promo period, then back to Buy/Try

1. Not 100% sure about this but according to my logic it should report that IsTrial == false

2. If someone installs the app when it's free he basically bought it for $0 and a license for your app is added to his MS account. So even if you start charging for the app again, that user will still be able to reinstall the app for free with that MS account

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Switching from Buy/Try model to Free for a promo period, then back to Buy/Try

Quote Originally Posted by NicoVermeir View Post
    1. Not 100% sure about this but according to my logic it should report that IsTrial == false
    Exacly because the user is not running a trial, the user got the app license for $0.

Quote Originally Posted by NicoVermeir View Post
    2. If someone installs the app when it's free he basically bought it for $0 and a license for your app is added to his MS account. So even if you start charging for the app again, that user will still be able to reinstall the app for free with that MS account
    That is correct. When you install an app that is temporarily free, its added to your list of apps already purchased and you will be able to install it again later even if by then its paid again. You just press "Buy" and the store will check if you already own the right to use it and will allow you to install again and get updates and such as a normal purchase. Not only that but if you have more than one phone like me, and use the same MS Account on multiple devices you are able to install the app on those also. Its associated with the Microsoft Account you used to purchase the app, not the device.

Nokia Developer Champion

Interesting question is: will it convert current trial users to fully licensed users or will they have to take action inside the Marketplace?

they'll need to take action, installed apps are not updated if the info on the store changes

Great!! That was exactly what I'd hoped for :-)

Thanks very much Nico and João for taking the time to answer my questions - very much appreciated!

Russell