Discussion Board

Transfer large file from Windows Phone directly to PC

I try to transfer files from a Windows Phone to a PC without sending it to Skydrive or any other cloud service.
    The reason is that the files are videos and are very big, e.g. more than 200 MB.
    It is not possible to transfer files larger than 50 MB to Skydrive without crashing the app.

There are several samples for Phone to PC transfers out there but they send only a few text lines of a few Bytes or are only for the Windows Phone 8 SDK.

Can anyone provide me some help or a sample for the PC and the phone software part? And what technique would you recommend?
    Thanks
    frank
    frank

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Transfer large file from Windows Phone directly to PC

If there is WLAN and the PC can be accessed via it, using simple a TCP/IP connection could be a fast and inexpensive way.

you could try uploading to another service, Azure blob storage would be perfect for this scenario

Nokia Developer Champion

You could have a look at my HTTP server sample: http://developer.nokia.com/Community..._Windows_Phone

You basically should only have to set the MIME type accordingly and send the video data instead of the HTML data. On the PC side a regular HTTP Client should suffice to implement the functionality (or you could create an Index page with links to the video URLs and allow the user to download the data from the phone using a regular web browser).

Doing it with a http Server on the phone is a very nice option. The users only need a browser and nothing else to transfer the files to a PC. Perfect.
    I do not have any experience with handling requests in a Web Server so SB Dev answer raises a few new questions. In the sample they are sending strings.
    Do I have to encode the Video stream or do I just open my isolated storage file and stream its content to the ouptut stream of the data writer?
    Is there a Limit for the stream length ?
    Which MIME type do I have to set and how?
    frank