Discussion Board

Java AppServer 'wakes up' a MIDlet using WMA, Push

I would like to know if the following use case is possible. I have done points 1-3. I am presently using WTK20 and MIDP 2.0.

1) Register a socket://<port> on a MIDlet via the Push Registry, dynamically
    2) Allow the MIDlet to 'wake up' when this socket port in called by another entity.
    3) Allow a ServerSocketConnection to read the bytes from the socket
    4) Allow a Java AppServer to place a client call to this device, to reach socket://port, thus waking up the MIDlet

the problem then is what IP address i use to contact this MIDlet, as if the phone even has an IP address, it is dynamic and private.

It seems that there is little point in registering a serversocket or datagramconnection on a MIDlet via the Push Registry as there is no way for them to be contacted straight from an AppServer.

The WTK20 and JSR 120 talk about how to send a message via SMS or CBS. These appear to involve using a network provider's gateway, or the WTK20 utility.

So my question is: how do I wake up a MIDlet from an AppServer, that has NO dependency on any network operators' services?

Any ideas would be most appeciated!

Many thanks in advance,
    Phil

Hi, I'm replying to myself as I haven't had any replies yet.

My issue was how I would get a third-party appserver to 'push' a message to a device, via socket, datagram, sms etc.

I now understand that WMA API is intended for device -> device message sending, with no server.

I would still like to be able to allow a third-party appserver, like JBoss, to send an SMS to a device, say to sms://+555000:789.

My issue now is, which Nokia API do I use, from within JBoss, to invoke a 'client' SMS call to an emulated mobile device? Is there an SMS Server API I should look at, that would integrate with the Nokia MIDP 2.0 SDK, or the WTK 2.0?

I understand this would have to be an emulation API, and I would have to send via an SMS gateway in production. I also realise that I could use the WTK 2.0 SMS Send utility, but I would like to be able to send SMS's to my my emulators programatically.

Thanks for your help
    Phil Miller

can it really be done

i just came across your thread. i been searching for some kind of special "server" (maybe fro, nokia or j2me itself) to do what you wanted to do. so far nothing yet. i am thinking of something similar too. so, i have to say that we are out of luck. the bottom line is that v have to send it sms through a carrier and cause most carrier would not let inbound connection through their network.(i also doubt they allow third party sms). pls someone say im wrong

sending sms between midp apps

Cant you doctor the port number of the sms so that a midp WMA app can read the sms before it gets stored in the folder.
    ( once stored its inaccesible to the midp app).

Either way, interesting thread, thanks for updating us with your progress.

awaken a midlet without sms

yes, i guess the only way is to do that. but what i want my system to do is:
    1) a server to get a mobile phone's ip
    2) if new info available, server just open a port xxx without doing anything else.
    3) thta midlet which is always listening, detects activity on port xxx and awakens.

i wanted to do this without using a sms to awaken the midlet.

i think this is possible cause i tried it using an emulator. by setting the midlet to listen to port xxx and then i open up the telnet and just open up the port xxx. true enough the midlet detects activity on port xxx and awaken.
    all this done in my pc, so i was tryin to do this in real world.

i can't use the getLocalAddress() cause i don't own a midp2.0 phone. by using an emulator it will just return the pc's ip.

do u thing this possible?
    thanks

Not sure if its possible

Hi,
    Im not sure if its possible.

I would be interested to know if you get it working though .

Larry

telco assigning an IP- how

1 ques: how do a typical telco assign ip to device; do ip address get assigned each time a user access a WAP site/ uses GPRS connection(meaning whenever user uses GPRS a new IP is assigned) OR the ip address is re-assigned only when a device moves from one base station to another??

it is possible with Siemens Phones but I have no idea for Nokia's.

Regular Contributor
    It works with Nokia, but you can only get the IP dynamically, that means, you can only get a real IP when you've established an internet connection.
    If you haven't got an internet connection, the answer will be 127.0.0.1.

That means the whole modell only works when you are always 'online' and in my case it doesn't work either, because the real IP, I get from Vodafone when I'm online, isn't accessible from outside Vodafone.

I guess it isn't worth spending more time for this kind of application model...

Oliver

SMS Push !!

Guyz,
    You need special privileges which normal developers like us cant get access to. For SMS push to work; sending an SMS to a specified port is critical; else no way the Push reaches the app.

One of the simplest ways to try this is

1) Register SMS push
    say @ port 4000

2) Implement a WMA Sender (tonnes of free code on the web) to send an SMS to that port
    Looks like this;
    sms://<MSISDN>:4000 using the WMA messaging API

3) Send SMS to that port and you will see that the SMS push actually reaches the other guy. I have used 2 Nokia 6620's for this and successfully tested this.

Also; there are 2 good documents under ATT wireless developer boards (I am in the US) that tell you about SMPP and
    WAP Push.

Hope this helps.

--Mandar