Discussion Board

Windows Phone jailbreak

Is there a way/tool to jailbreak/unlock the Windows Phone device? Need to know for implementing a library that can check for a jailbroken device

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Windows Phone jailbreak

If you think about some protection scheme, the unfortunate truth is that if there will be people cracking the entire system successfully, they will definitely succeed with a single application too.
    This discussion has not the best chances here, as the topic of jailbreaking does not fit into the profile of this site. So if someone comes and describes ways to crack/hack the devices, those posts are likely have to be removed, which indeed disrupts discussion.

Nokia Developer Champion

Windows Phone 8 hasn't been cracked (yet!) but Windows Phone 7 has been, there are already a couple of methods to detect if an app was pirated. Just a matter of searching

Nokia Developer Champion

I fear you're not correct. While there currently are no hacks of Nokia's WP8 devices the Samsung Ativ S has proven to be less resilient.

Hi,

I need to know is there any way to check device is jailbreak or not?Moral behind this is to stop support to them.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by vivek solanki View Post
    I need to know is there any way to check device is jailbreak or not?Moral behind this is to stop support to them.
    I don't know for certain, and if you're concerned about app/game piracy - I don't think there are any figures on that.

And unlock Android and iOS, there are no priate app/game stores where everything is free and cracked.

The only code I could find is a little old but might be worth trying... http://www.geekchamp.com/tips/protec...casual--piracy

Nokia Developer Champion

I'd suggest to use the Store API to check wether the App is run with a valid/active store license. If not it was sideloaded. Of course that would also detect your own sideloading for testing as well. So you'd have to disable that code block in order to test on your own device (unless the App is already published, you have a valid license for that App ID and you copied the Store App ID into your local debug copy of the App). Have a look at the information here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...formation.aspx

As for detecting wether or not your App is running on a device that has an Interop or Full Unlock enabled regardless of the user having actually bought your App or not - there obviously are no APIs to check for that and at least I would not know about a way to detect it easily. Generally I'd say that checking the Store license should be sufficient.

Thanks for your reply.

But i have only one requirement to identify windows phone device is jail break or not ? is there any way to identify it ?

Nokia Developer Champion

I fear you'd have to look into how those jailbreaks would work to see wether or not one is in place. Looking back at WP7 elevated permissions were granted on an App-by-App basis and assuming it's the same on WP8 your App would have no way to detect wether other Sandboxes besides it's own have been affected in any way.

Perhaps you should have a look at XDA developers for stuff like that. As for preventing piracy I'd believe checking the App license should be sufficient.