Discussion Board

Confused - JpegTools BlendAsync must be RGBA

I am rendering a WPF UI element to a WritableBitmap which is therefore BGRA32
    I would like to take this writableBitmap and render it on top of a JPEG using the JpegTools method BlendAsync.

When I try to do it I get an exception saying BGRA32 is not RGBA32, I get that.

How do I convert it into RGBA32 and provide it as a IReadableBitmap to BlendAsync?

Does anyone have any ideas? This is killing me?

I mean I know how to bit shift an int to get R,G,B,A values of course.

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Confused - JpegTools BlendAsync must be RGBA

When creating a Bitmap-object from the Nokia Imaging SDK you can define the ColorMode it uses in the constructor. If you use an WritableBitmapSource and render from that to a new Bitmap with the right ColorMode using a BitmapRenderer that should solve your issue. The value to be used during creation of your target Bitmap needs to be ARGB8888 (8bits per color component), a WritableBitmap and most of the SDK uses BGRA8888 by default.

Thanks, could you give me an example?
    I have currently solved it but I am not happy with the solution. It seems memory efficient at least. I assume rendering from a WritableBitmapSource to a new bitmap using the BitmapRenderer would be a waste of memory?

The way I currently solved it:

1. Render UI element to WritableBitmap
    2. Using Pixels[] go and manually bit shift the int32 around to change BGRA32 to ARGB32
    3. Create new Nokia Bitmap from an array specifying the ColorMode. Array is the writableBitmaps Pixels[]
    This seems relatively memory efficient as the pixels are all referenced however it seems clumsy.

I would love some more advice if you have any.

Quote Originally Posted by SB Dev View Post
    When creating a Bitmap-object from the Nokia Imaging SDK you can define the ColorMode it uses in the constructor. If you use an WritableBitmapSource and render from that to a new Bitmap with the right ColorMode using a BitmapRenderer that should solve your issue. The value to be used during creation of your target Bitmap needs to be ARGB8888 (8bits per color component), a WritableBitmap and most of the SDK uses BGRA8888 by default.

Nokia Developer Champion

Memory wise I don't think you can do better than your solution. The reason I suggested to use the rendering of the SDK is that it's likely to be more optimized for speed although I don't know your code. I'm also not really sure if it's a good idea to directly wrap a WritableBitmap's backing buffer inside a Nokia Bitmap but if it's working for you without any issues I don't see why not to do it.

I agree but this is a throw away render and it unwinds fine so it seems efficient to do it this way.
    My conversion code is simple, obviously not using bitconverter, that is a horrible class.
    Thanks for the help.