Discussion Board

Nokia Developer Champion

Imaging SDK 1.0 Feedback Competition: shai.i: Image source extra parameters

I'm currently working on an App that uses filters and the Nokia Imaging SDK in a unique way, instead of applying filters effect to the full image it allows you to add filters as either different geometric shapes (circle, square, triangle, star, heart, etc) to the image (i.e. only a star part of the full image is effected with the filter and you select where to place this star,circle, etc. shape)
    You can also use your finger to apply filter as the finger is dragged on the image (selecting the exact parts/pixel you want to apply the filters to).
    I had also plan to write a wiki article for this app to compete in the wiki articles but could not complete the app in time.
    Anyway the improvement I'm suggesting is to be able to add parameters to the different image source classes such as BitmapImageSource to allow passing geometric or shapes classes that be effected by the filter and leave the rest of the image intact, I think that applying the filter to the full image is just the private case of this methoc with the parameter of the geometric of the entire image.
    because at the moment I'm force to sample the part of the image that the shape contains and make the pixels that are outside the geometric shape transparent and then apply the filter to that section and the blit it back to the full image with overwriting the target pixels.
    Last edited by shai.i; 2013-12-16 at 00:03. Reason: my time has shown before gmt 00:00 when posting this.... clock not accurate?
    Heard of DVLUP? Join here

Re: Imaging SDK 1.0 Feedback Competition: shai.i: Image source extra parameters

Well, you can already do that kind of filtering manually: https://developer.nokia.com/Communit...ia_Imaging_SDK

Nokia Developer Champion

dtimotei: the article actually details exactly what I currently do in my own method as you can see in the end of my text below, HOWEVER this is hardly the optimal way and is actually quite costly.
    the better way would be more optional parameters in the different Image Source classes that will also accept Geometry or Shape class parameters and apply the filter directly to it only.

Nokia Developer Champion

i'm agree with you, it's a really interesting feature.

But it's not an ImagesSource problem. it's filters problem. Or more specificly, it's a pixels path problem.
    Windows 8, Windows phone 8 or Nokia Asha developer? Go to DVLUP

Nokia Developer Champion

Custom Filters based on their interface do support partial application but only for rectangular shapes. If the feature is implemented I would like to add that it would be nice to get some support by the SDK for implementing this (e.g. you can't just use two nested loops to get at the intended pixels).

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by SB Dev View Post
    Custom Filters based on their interface do support partial application but only for rectangular shapes. If the feature is implemented I would like to add that it would be nice to get some support by the SDK for implementing this (e.g. you can't just use two nested loops to get at the intended pixels).
    Internally, sdk use tiles. But this feature is not yet public.
    In reality, when you use a customfilter you'll process all the picture. The picture size depend on final rendering size or crop/reframing apply after it.
    Windows 8, Windows phone 8 or Nokia Asha developer? Go to DVLUP

Nokia Developer Champion

yan_ & SB Dev,
    Thanks both for supporting this feature request, I also think its a very interesting feature that developers can find different uses for it (beside my concept idea for my app )
    To be honest I don't know the internals of the SDK as you Yan so this can be a filters optional parameter and not an ImageSource parameter w/e is decided by the imaging sdk developers is fine by me.