Discussion Board

2D animations in Windows Phone 8

I would like to develop a Tamagotchi game for Windows Phone 8 and I don't know how to do it.

My problem is that I don't know if I need to use Directx 3D or XAML, because I'm going to show a 2D pet moving around the screen.

I've thought to use 2D sprites to show its movement and let the user to stroke it.

Do I have to use Direct3D? Unity? What do you recommend me?

I'm asking this question because I haven't do anything like this before. I have no idea how to do it.

Re: 2D animations in Windows Phone 8

if you've ever looked into something like XNA then you'll find that Monogame is quite easy to get started.
    Monogame tutorials are listed here: https://github.com/mono/MonoGame/wiki/Tutorials

The thing about Monogame is that it has no editor, everything is done from code. (there are 3th party editors out there but I have no experience with them)

Unity on the other hand has support for 2D as well as of the current version and has a great editor but you'll need to learn the Unity API and scripts.

So in short:
    Monogame:
    - tons of tutorials / demos / community both through monogame and through the old XNA channels (monogame and XNA are like 94% the same on the outside)
    - everything done in code
    - free and open source framework

Unity:
    - basic free version that can export to WP8
    - awesome graphical editor
    - can handle 2D as well as 3D

my advice: try them both, build something small in monogame and build the exact same thing in Unity, see which one you like best and learn more about it

Thanks for your answer, but I've read this: "Windows Phone 8, OUYA and PlayStation Mobile development is currently in progress." on Monogame (http://monogame.codeplex.com/).

yes but if you get the latest version of the source, there are perfectly working WP8 templates in them. There even are Monogame WP8 games in the store

Nokia Developer Champion

Depending on how complex (or not) your game is, C#/XAML might be sufficient to work with 2D Sprites. I believe that would be easier to work with if it's enough for your use case (but if you later on exceed what can be done with C#/XAML you'd have the additional porting to do then). How much experience do you have in development?