Discussion Board

Lightbulb HERE Maps API for Java ME, LocationUtil / Loc. Provider, Cell ID

Hello,

my project is specialized on location based services, especially on locating the device very precisely.

My platform is:
    • SDK: Nokia SDK 1.0 for Java (Nokia_SDK_1_0_Java)
    • Java ME
    • Netbeans IDE 7.4
    • device: Nokia X2-02 Dual Sim, FW: V 11.79 (15-08-12 / RM-694)

To acheive a good result locating the device (my main goal), I used different features that my device supports.

At first, I fetched the Cell ID, Location Area Code, MCC, MNC to send them via an API to a server holding a database of several cell towers around the world, giving me a good approach on where the device is located currently. Additionaly, I could use the feature of having dual sim, so that I can further examine somehow a mean value of two coordinates locations.

Dual SIM - Java Developer's Library
    Code:
    System.getProperty("com.nokia.multisim.cellid.sim1");
    • com.nokia.multisim.cellid.sim1 and com.nokia.multisim.cellid.sim2
    • com.nokia.multisim.countrycode.sim1 and com.nokia.multisim.countrycode.sim2
    • com.nokia.multisim.lac.sim1 and com.nokia.multisim.lac.sim2
    • com.nokia.multisim.mnc.sim1 and com.nokia.multisim.mnc.sim2

The next approach was to use the LocationUtil:
    Determining Current Location via Cell ID - Nokia Developer Wiki
    This gives me great accurate location, what I realized after having entered the coordinates of the "GetCellIdCoordinates.jar" example (link above) in some maps application.
    Using the "HERE Maps API for Java ME" demos > Locate the device, this gives me the same location and a circle with ca. 200m to 250 m radius (once it has contained my real position, once it did not but was close to it)
    nokia-developer / here-maps-component-demos: https://github.com/nokia-developer/h...omponent-demos
    So I see the HERE Maps API uses an API key that is free of charge to get, only for the maps tiles, not for the services like locating.
    I tried to compile the example (here-maps-component-demos, link above) using Netbeans, however it reported some missing files like maps-core.jar, which was explained to be within a plugin folder, precisely in "C:\Nokia\Devices\Nokia_Asha_SDK_1_0\plugins\maps api\lib" that does not exist on my machine because I use an other SDK, namely Nokia_SDK_1_0_Java which does not contain such a jar file or any similar. However, I know it has to be possible to launch an application using the HERE Maps API because I executed the compiled jar "HEREMapsComponentDemos.jar" successfully on my device Nokia X2-02 Dual SIM. So I found an application called "MapsComponentDemos" which seems to be identical to the HERE Demo App. except that it contains the required files in /lib. The location example is located under "MapsComponentDemos\src\com\nokia\maps\example\location" (LocationFinder.java)
    Location Services - Here Maps Component Demos - Java Developer's Library > "Download MapsComponentDemos"
    I see the data calls:
    location.getQualifiedCoordinates().getLatitude(); // Lat
    location.getQualifiedCoordinates().getLongitude(); // Lon
    location.getQualifiedCoordinates().getHorizontalAccuracy(); // the radius

This should be a short summary of what I acheived and for everybody's purpose on how to locate the device very accurately (about 250m radius)

Additionally, I am interested how this works (maybe requesting the available networks and doing some sort of arithmetic cut on these sets of points, triangulation? and/or getting their signal strengthes and thus altering the network towers' radiuses) and why only on SIM1 (?) What I see is the device connecting to some GRRS on SIM1 (G_1 symbol on the top bar). However, this does not seem to cause any charges - this is no guarantee but only what I examined on my telephone record.

Is there a way how to optimize this already very accurate service by maybe somehow taking in account what SIM2's network location would be.

___
    further information
    ___

Thank you very much.
    Regards
    ~ pascal95abc
    Last edited by pascal95abc; 2013-12-22 at 14:36.

Re: HERE Maps API for Java ME, LocationUtil / Loc. Provider, Cell ID

If you need precise location, then you need a GPS. Tower based triangulation will never be very accurate. You might consider using an external Bluetooth GPS device, if it is possible for your use case.

I don't know the answer to your question ... but when your project is complete, it might make a really good wiki article (hint hint)

Regards
    Hamish

Hi , Im using Nokia SDK 1.1 , im working on a project , i have imported all the map HERE API Jars, but i can't instanciate the 'SearchManger' does anyone knows why? i Neeed HEEEELP !!! (sorry for posting my question here i didnt find where to put my question.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by haytham.benslimane View Post
    Hi , Im using Nokia SDK 1.1 , im working on a project , i have imported all the map HERE API Jars, but i can't instanciate the 'SearchManger' does anyone knows why? i Neeed HEEEELP !!! (sorry for posting my question here i didnt find where to put my question.
    It would probably be more helpful it you were to post some code and explain where in the code your error is occurring. I assume that you are using the Nokia IDE, in which case looking at the classpath set up section of the quick start should be useful. If you are able to create the code without any problems, but you are having problems when running the code in the emulator, it is probably because the the maps_core.jar and places.jar needs to be added as an external JAR under 'Libraries'