Discussion Board

Nokia. Please give us ability to read high resolution photos from library!

Hello

Our company have made 5 apps which automatically sync photos to cloud services. But all these apps are useless on Lumia 1020/1520 without accessing high resolution images! No one will use our apps because of restriction on accessing them.
    Why the hell did Nokia and MS decided to restrict it anyway? And please stop telling us that you though about us (developers). We can handle it, do not worry

So , if Nokia gave access to phriz.be application to read high resolution photos, how we (mortals) can archive the same? To whom should we contact?

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Nokia. Please give us ability to read high resolution photos from library!

The reason why it's not possible to access them the usual way is because many Apps can not handle such huge images without issues. I agree that it's preferable to get a way to access them when such a feature is released but it's unlikely that ALL developers will update their Apps in time to avoid issues.

You know this might looks rude, but I do not care about such developers. Neither should Nokia do. Because of this decision a lot of developers and users are now fills bad experience of such phones! If you disabled access then give us ability to get it if we are sure we can handle it.
    There are a lot of such restrictions and they are not doing good for whole ecosystem!

Nokia Developer Champion

If they didn't care for such developers that would mean a truly terrible experience for users who use the Apps of those developers. The blame would not go to the Apps but to the OS with all those crashing Apps. It's not always easy to add such features to the existing APIs.

Again: yes, the best way would be to allow some kind of opt-in like it can be done to capture full resolution images on the 1020 (the APIs don't report those resolutions as supported but you can still set them). But there are issues with that as well. I hope they'll be able to release it when 8.1 hits but I can understand why it's the way it is right now.

I still believe Nokia made big mistake with it.
    From the user side I can say that I am not satisfied with such decision. Just simple example: I cannot share high res images without connecting phone to PC. I show my 1520 to people saying that this one takes beautiful pictures! Ok, they asked , show as! And I cannot I have to say, sorry but I need PC and Cable to extract images from phone. They asked, what? You cannot see, cannot upload and shared such images? I said, yes 8-(
    What people will think about Windows phone? They will not blame Nokia, will not blame lazzy devs who did not update their apps, they will blame Windows Phone! Is it good? Of course not! If Microsoft won't change this in near future, WP will always be "strange" OS for the rest of the world.

And besides of the facts that Nokia gives all efforts to improve WP, Nokia also killing it by exclusive apps with exclusive access rights and I am not talking about Nokia's apps, but the apps that received help from Nokia.
    Bad and unfair business as such devs can produce apps which abilities unreachable by others! And there are tons of excellent apps, but they did not receive a single help from Nokia to become better. Instead of this, Nokia selected strange apps and gave them the power to be unique! This is killing WP business.

As a developer I am very disappointed by Nokia. I really hope that Microsoft can change something after taking control of Nokia.

Are the Nokia people coming to this forum?

Quote Originally Posted by RayAdamo View Post
    I still believe Nokia made big mistake with it.
    Just simple example: I cannot share high res images without connecting phone to PC. I show my 1520 to people saying that this one takes beautiful pictures! Ok, they asked , show as! And I cannot I have to say, sorry but I need PC and Cable to extract images from phone. They asked, what? You cannot see, cannot upload and shared such images? I said, yes 8-(
    One of the reason why i feel window phone feel restrictive and have not intentention to buy window phone.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by AmazePicturesInc View Post
    Are the Nokia people coming to this forum?
    In January, there may be a chance. This time of the year people are on holidays.
    A remark for the question: if Microsoft has to choose between your 5 apps and other 1500 in the Photo category in the store, guess what is going to happen. On the other hand Nokia appears to be supporting image processing and the like, so it may happen that in a later release the Imaging SDK will provide some support for high-res images if it does not do that already (I am not really familiar with it).

Quote Originally Posted by babylongreece View Post
    One of the reason why i feel window phone feel restrictive and have not intentention to buy window phone.
    It is great that you always find any discussion where someone is not 100% satisfied with some WP feature.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    In January, there may be a chance. This time of the year people are on holidays.
    A remark for the question: if Microsoft has to choose between your 5 apps and other 1500 in the Photo category in the store, guess what is going to happen. On the other hand Nokia appears to be supporting image processing and the like, so it may happen that in a later release the Imaging SDK will provide some support for high-res images if it does not do that already (I am not really familiar with it).
    And you think this is right? I am not talking just about my 5-6 apps, but about tons of such apps. top apps in any category always will be up to date! And if not, no one will use it.
    Where did you ever see that bad review about bad developed apps are going to OS itself? You must be idiot to blame OS because apps crashed. Do not you think so?

I am big дщмук of all MS products and have Developer certifications in .NET, but I am not afraid to say truth about MS. Let's take a sober look at things and behave like iSheepers and Fandroids.

I was purely reflecting the "I do not care about such developers" part of your earlier post. It continues with "Neither should Nokia do." and that is why it is important to point out that the platform itself is governed by Microsoft, and that yet there are no Microsoft representatives on this site.
    On the other hand, reading documentation like http://developer.nokia.com/Resources...on-photos.html, it keeps repeating that high-resolution images should not be stored in the library, and then it is really Nokia who could/could not think about an IPC mechanism to make images available.

Nokia Developer Champion

It's more a Microsoft problem than Nokia. Because access depend on WP API.

They are several reasons to keep the functionality private and certainly to young to be public. But i hope this will change with future WP version.

Another important points, the 1020/1520 target is 5Mp picture with Reframing and Oversampling. Not high res picture.

I don't know if this forum it's the best place to ask your request. Maybe you could try to contact a local Nokia/Microsoft agent?
    Windows 8, Windows phone 8 or Nokia Asha developer? Go to DVLUP

Unfortunately I already tried it.
    First I had a conversation with author of Moliplayer Pro from China. Nokia gave them full access to photo and video library. I asked him to pass my request to their contact in Nokia and of course, Nokia paid no interest in helping me.

Second attempt was to post such request in Microsoft forum for developers, and no one even know how to do it in MS!

Third attempt was to contact Nokia directly, which is also failed as no one was be able to find "proper" person.

That is the biggest problem as we know no persons in Nokia/MS to contact about our problems.

Nokia gave this permission for some developers and companies but how did they select those companies, I don't know.
    But I know that this is fair competition for business! As such companies with high access levels could easily "kill" the whole business.

I still cannot understand why the Microsoft behave like this. Don't they care about Windows Phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by yan_ View Post
    It's more a Microsoft problem than Nokia. Because access depend on WP API.

They are several reasons to keep the functionality private and certainly to young to be public. But i hope this will change with future WP version.

Another important points, the 1020/1520 target is 5Mp picture with Reframing and Oversampling. Not high res picture.

I don't know if this forum it's the best place to ask your request. Maybe you could try to contact a local Nokia/Microsoft agent?

I may be shooting in the dark here but I'm going to assume that MS/Nokia will not release publicly an API that is not yet fully implemented.

And by that I mean to have all platforms supported (native and managed), properly localized and documented. When you release an API to the public there is an enormous number of steps you need to take. Its not as simple as documenting it and thats it. Windows Phone and the .NET framework is supported in a number of devices / countries combinations that need to be taken into account. So even the small change to a method will require testing, documentation, localization, legal clearance, etc.

For instance, a change in the way a developer has access to a certain part of the OS may have legal implications due to patents, licensing and related. Not only that but will require extensive testing in all device / OS combinations, it needs to be included on the product support live-cycle, and so-forth.

Some of these may be provided to a strict number of partners so they empower the platform by bringing to the market tools and features that may be of key importance to the ecosystem. But by doing so there are a lot of legality, insurance, and other related non-technical stuff that comes to play. Something that small or independent developers can't assure.

As I said I'm just shooting in the dark here, because I dont really know the reason. But I do know that this type of things do happen for these reasons.