Discussion Board

Question Microsoft Ad control do not show anything

Hi Everyone,

Recently I have published an WP8 app on app store and now for next update I wanted to add ads in app. I thought of using Microsoft ad control, below is XAML code I used by dragging dropping control on main window.

<Grid x:Name="ContentPanel" Grid.Row="1">
    <!--<UI:AdControl ApplicationId="test_client" AdUnitId="Image480_80" HorizontalAlignment="Left" Height="80" Width="480"/>-->
    <UI:AdControl ApplicationId="MyAdUnitAppIdFromPubCenter" AdUnitId="MyAdUnitIdFromPubCenter" HorizontalAlignment="Left" Height="80" Width="480"/>
    </Grid>

I have created ad unit in pub center to test live ads. I tried with both running in emulator and on phone for live ads from pub center, but ad control do not show anything at all.

Ads seems to be working with test client. I added all required capabilities as well. I tried this test with different ad dimensions, as I guess in india ads are allowed by Microsoft.

What else is wrong here. Why everyone one is suffering with integrating ad control in their app.

What other good options available for monetizing apps.

-Shyam
    Last edited by shyam.tinwar; 2013-12-27 at 16:59.

Re: Microsoft Ad control do not show anything

the emulator can only show ads from the testclient, so inserting your real application id won't show any ads in the emulator. You can figure out what's going on by handling the adcontrol his ErrorOccured event, setting a breakpoint there. More info about this event here http://vdcruijsen.net/2011/11/micros...s-phone-7-app/

Nokia Developer Champion

Following recent changes to the regional Ad targeting it seems that outside the US Microsoft has very low Ad inventory. So it's entirely possible that you're not seeing Ads being displayed on the device because it is requesting Ads for the indian market. More information on that issue can be found in the Pubcenter support forums: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...aiaforwinphone

Thanks for info.

1) I was trying integrating ads from pub center and testing it in phone not emulator. It did worked once but then other time it, it was not showing anything again.
    2) Lots of apps which being downloaded in india and using ads works great. Ads works fluently. I guess its something with our implementation. As I have noticed lots of stuff which is not documented and relevant while integration ads.

If Microsoft Ads not useful in india then what options developers have. Heard about his new Vserv ads provider and Ad Duplex. How good are they as compare to Microsoft.

Thanks

ad duplex is a really cool thing but it doesn't earn you any money. You show ads for other apps in your app and in return your app shows up in other apps that use ad duplex.

I just added ad control in app and published it with next version, as I was able to see ads from pub center in one of several test. I thought that might be ads will work fine with download from app store.

But once app got published still I can not see any ads in app.

So I raised a ticket to MS Pub Center to resolve my issue.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention what exceptions I am getting, may be by looking at that someone can help.

Source : Microsoft.Advertising.Mobile
    Stack Trace : at Microsoft.Advertising.Shared.AdvertisementFactory.CreateFromResponse(String response, AdDownloadCompleteCallback adDownloadCompleteCallback)
    at Microsoft.Advertising.Shared.AdPlacement.CreateAdvertisement(Byte[] bytes)
    at Microsoft.Advertising.Shared.AdPlacement.AdRequestComplete(IWebRequestWrapper request)

Error Code : Microsoft.Advertising.ErrorCode.ServerSideError

Thanks

Below are the official words from Microsoft support person

Microsoft Advertising recently updated the ad serving logic on Windows Phone to improve the geographic relevance and usefulness of ads consumers are exposed to. As a result of this change, fill rates and CPMs in apps published outside the U.S. will experience a decrease.
    We recognize that sudden changes in monetization are frustrating for our developers, however, these changes will improve the consumer experience and help advertiser relevance and performance.
    Over time, the improved relevance will promote healthy ad-funded monetization on Windows Phone throughout the globe

So I think there was no issues with my implementation. Ads did turned up in some countries for my app and its shown some statistics on pub center dashboard. We can't do much here, but we can choose some 3rd party ads provider which can help us to get more fill rates. Below is a link to some 3rd party ads providers.
    http://blogs.windows.com/windows_pho...hone-apps.aspx

-Shyam

Nokia Developer Champion

Basically the reason I linked to above. Would be curious to hear about your experiences with other Ad providers (I wasn't really happy with Inneractive when I tried that as a fallback).

Since I do not have good amount of fill rate for my app, I have to try out other options as well. Google's AdMob will be my next play around.

Microsoft ad control is great and easy to integrate, but it is providing very less fill rate.

I will not simply enable 3rd party control, I will be enabling it only for those countries where Microsoft ad control will not work.

To keep forum update, I did receive ads in other countries as well. I had a look at detailed ads report from pub center, fill rate is highest in Italy, US and very low in other countries. There is no guaranty that it will work for other countries but it may work as well.

Nokia Developer Champion

Well, on the technical end it does work. The issue is with low ad inventory in other countries (no Ads to show). Microsoft will have to work on that (acquiring customers in those countries that are willing to advertise on the platform).