Discussion Board

Geting started with sync. address and appointment data from Windows

A friendly hallo to anybody,

I'm developing a smal software to manage address and appointment data for a smal company. Now I want to make it easy to syncronize these informations with a mobil without using special applications. Even connect the mobil to the PC, press a button and sync. the data with the mobil. I found some SQLite files on my nokia, but none whith address or appointment data.

I hope someone can help me geting started

Regards from the Northsee

Peter

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Geting started with sync. address and appointment data from Windows

(I assume moderators will move this thread to some more appropriate location.)

Which mobile phones do you want to synchronize with? When you say "press a button and sync"? Do you mean a "button" on the phone or the PC?

In any case, you'll never be able to do it "without using special applications" because unless you have special software (application) to do it, it will not magically work.

In the case of Nokia's Windows Phone based phones, see "Microsoft's Windows Phone app for desktop": http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/ho...pp-for-desktop

And in the case of Nokia's other phones (well, at least Series 40/Asha and Symbian/S60 based phones), see Nokia Suite: http://www.nokia.com/global/support/nokia-pc-suite/

Of course, you can try to develop the synchronization software yourself, too, but then you'll have all kinds of problems to solve as different phones connect to PCs using different mechanisms/protocols (in other words, you'd have to deal with all the differences between different phone platforms/operating systems, and their versions, and different connectivity mechanisms yourself).

If you narrow things down to a single platform (e.g., just Windows Phone 8) and ignore everything else (Windows Phone 7, all the different Symbian/S60 versions, all the different Series 40/Asha versions, maemo & MeeGo), then the problem is a bit simpler, as you only need to deal with one type of a system.

Hello petrib,

thank you for your answer. "Do you mean a "button" on the phone or the PC?" Well, to make it easy for the User, the idea was, if I can maintain the database directly via USB, I can provide a button in my software.

Your answer sounds like any mobil has it's own protocol to talk with. I would prefer an interface most independed of the mobile, becausee the user may change his mobil while he works with my software. May be two employees have different mobiles, so I would like to have one interface for a lot of mobiles. The System requirements for "Microsoft's Windows Phone app for desktop" is Windows 7 or Windows 8. but I want to support earlier versions too.

Is there a chance to support a lot of mobiles with one or two interfaces, may be 3? I hope you can help.

Regards

Peter

Nokia Developer Champion

Ther's SyncML (Synchronization Markup Language) that was intended for this sort of stuff. Used to be better supported than it is today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syncml

In practice, I'm afraid, there are no easy/simple answers or solutions to what you wish to do.