Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Question App gets stuck at user's splash screen, no crash reports or RadDiagnostics popup

I have a WP8 alarm clock app with speech reco support. It runs fine on my Lumia 520 and at least 2 other people's phones who tried it out for me, one of them on a Lumia 920. However I am getting bad reviews from people and I think today I found out why. I submitted the app to the Windows Phone Parent category. They told me that they can't include the app yet because it gets stuck on the splash screen and never does anything else. They tried to run it on a Lumia 820 & 920. This may indicate that it's not actually crashing, as in generating an Exception, because I have the Telerik RadDiagnostics control embedded in the app and it never pops up.

Has anybody encountered a problem like this with their apps? If so, how did you debug it when it only happens on some people's phones and not yours?

-- roschler

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: App gets stuck at user's splash screen, no crash reports or RadDiagnostics popup

There should be stack traces available from the Dev Center, that should help pin point the cause of the crash.

Can you give an overview of the code/events that are execute when your app starts up (from the App.xaml.cs to MainPage.xam) ?

Re: App gets stuck at user's splash screen, no crash reports or RadDiagnostics popup

If the app doesn't crash there won't be a stack trace. You can use a logging framework like Bugsense to set up custom messages that get logged. That way you can see values and steps that you app fails at.

Bugsense has a free tier if you just want to try it out.

Regular Contributor

Hi thothernt. As CrazyDane said, it's not crashing just stalling.

Regular Contributor

@CrazyDane - Ok back to good old logging. Thanks.

Nokia Developer Champion

Hello,
    it could help if you givers the snippet related to the app startup and how do you show your splash screen and close it as theothernt asked.

Quote Originally Posted by theothernt View Post
    Can you give an overview of the code/events that are execute when your app starts up (from the App.xaml.cs to MainPage.xam) ?