Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Question Lumia 920, GDR3 and HTML5 @-ms-viewport's device-width / device-height issues

Has anyone else run into a problem with setting viewport dimensions on a Lumia 920 in a webbrowser control? The Microsoft way to force the viewport to adopt the actual screen resolution is to put:

Code:
    @-ms-viewport {
            width: device-width;
            height: device-height;
         }
    into the CSS file. I need this in order to create a full-screen sliding image gallery. In any case, my code is working perfectly in all of the emulators (haven't tried the 1080p yet). My image shows up perfect and the screen.width reports 480 for a WVGA screen and 768 for an WXGA screen.

As soon as I put it on my actual Lumia 920 (with developer GDR3), the screen measurements don't give the correct resolution. I get 371x619. According to the GDR3 docs, "device-width" is now supposed to give the actual width in INCHES * 160. So the reported numbers translate to 2.32 inches x 3.87 inches, about right.

#1. Can I leverage this to set the viewport? There is no pixeldensity for wp8 as far as I know.

#2. I have been able to use scriptnotify to get the screen resolution in c# and put it back into the browser using invokescript, but every attempt to change the CSS file after the page has loaded has yielded no change in the viewport width/height.

What can I do to address this?

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Lumia 920, GDR3 and HTML5 @-ms-viewport's device-width / device-height issues

Is this answer any good?

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...orum=wpdevelop

(I currently use a meta tag in a WP7 app to achieve a similar effect but the WP8 WebBrowser control behaves a little differently)

Regular Contributor

Re: Lumia 920, GDR3 and HTML5 @-ms-viewport's device-width / device-height issues

Not really. Even when I don't use any viewport settings, the screen.width and .height still return those incorrect numbers. I may have to change how I'm trying to do my layout, but as an HTML5/CSS/JS noobie, I'm having a hard time.

http://eightmedia.github.io/hammer.j.../carousel.html

This is what I'm trying to do, but instead of text, put a canvas containing an appropriate resolution image that matches the phone's resolution.

Nokia Developer Champion

Maybe others will have suggestions. In the meantime, these are the pages I referred to for my WP7 app...

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/iemobile/arc...s-phone-7.aspx

http://blogs.windows.com/windows_pho...-viewport.aspx

...while I think of it, make sure the HTML5 document is valid (has a DTD, etc) otherwise the browser will run in quirks mode where nothing seems to work right

Regular Contributor

Figured it out, I think. I need to test more, but this seems to work. FYI, I'm using Cordova, so you just need to ignore the Cordova part and modify your url wherever you are calling navigate.

1. In CordovaView.xaml.cs, find the StartPageUri property and change it to this:

Code:
    protected Uri _startPageUri = null;
            public Uri StartPageUri
            {
                get
                {
                    if (_startPageUri == null)
                    {
                        // default
                        string width = "";
                        string height = "";
                        try
                        {
                            var _resolution = (Size)DeviceExtendedProperties.GetValue("PhysicalScreenResolution");
                            width = _resolution.Width.ToString();
                            height = _resolution.Height.ToString();
                        }
                        catch
                        {
                            width = (App.Current.RootVisual.RenderSize.Width * App.Current.Host.Content.ScaleFactor / 100).ToString();
                            height = (App.Current.RootVisual.RenderSize.Height * App.Current.Host.Content.ScaleFactor / 100).ToString();
                        }
                        return new Uri(AppRoot + String.Format("www/index.html#width={0}&height={1}", width, height), UriKind.Relative);
                    }
                    else
                    {
                        return _startPageUri;
                    }
                }
                set
                {
                    if (!this.IsBrowserInitialized)
                    {
                        _startPageUri = value;
                    }
                }
            }
    Notice that the parameters do not begin with a question mark (?) but a hash (#). This is important.

2. On your index.html page (or whatever your start page is). Remove any reference to <meta name="viewport"> and add this code in at the top of the head:
    Code:
    <script>
            var width, height;
            var args = window.location.hash.split('&');
            for (var i = 0; i < args.length; i++) {
                var pair = args[i].split('=');
                if (decodeURIComponent(pair[0]) == 'height') {
                    height = Math.round(+decodeURIComponent(pair[1]));
                }
                else {
                    width = Math.round(+decodeURIComponent(pair[1]));
                }
            }
            document.write('<meta name="viewport" content="width=' + width + ', height=' + height + ', user-scalable=no">');
        </script>
    That should do it. Also, make sure your CSS file is not calling @-ms-viewport anywhere. You shouldn't need it.

***edited to make it work with 1080p phones correctly. I think it should be backwards compatible with GDR2, too.
    Last edited by leemcpherson; 2014-01-10 at 21:31. Reason: Didn't work for 1080p phones... now it does.

Regular Contributor

And thanks for these links... they actually did help. There's a lot of conflicting information about this meta viewport tag. This was the first resource that said to use it instead of the @-ms-viewport style.

Quote Originally Posted by theothernt View Post
    Maybe others will have suggestions. In the meantime, these are the pages I referred to for my WP7 app...

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/iemobile/arc...s-phone-7.aspx

http://blogs.windows.com/windows_pho...-viewport.aspx

...while I think of it, make sure the HTML5 document is valid (has a DTD, etc) otherwise the browser will run in quirks mode where nothing seems to work right

Nokia Developer Champion

Yeah, it's a bit odd. I use the <meta> tag approach only.

Nokia Developer Administrator

Hi leemcpherson,

Congratulations on winning Featured Discussion Board Post of the Week for this question! It was a good question, and a good solution. We also liked that you then went on to respond to other related questions across the boards.

Would you consider writing a wiki article that summarizes your findings, to help others in the future who encounter this issue? Let me know if you need help getting started.

Jen

Regular Contributor

Done! Hope it's useful and doesn't require too much editing

http://developer.nokia.com/Community...ample_Solution

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by leemcpherson View Post

Looks great!

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by leemcpherson View Post

That's fantastic Lee. Thanks for taking the time to do this

Nokia Developer Administrator

This is great. Thanks for writing that up, Lee!