Discussion Board

Question Pros and Cons of specifying ID_CAP_DEVICE_ID?

I've added Google Analytics tracking to my Windows Phone 8 app as per this blog post:

http://zornchris.com/?p=92

When I ran the program the first time I got an "access denied" Exception when the Analytics NuGet package requested the device ID (get_DeviceID). I went into my app manifest and requested ID_CAP_DEVICE_ID privileges. Now it works fine.

My concern is, will asking for this privilege create problems for me somewhere else? For example, will it limit my exposure in the Windows Phone store or adversely affect my downloads significantly in some way? I'm still looking to see if there's a way to have the Analytics module not request the device ID, but I haven't found it yet.

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Pros and Cons of specifying ID_CAP_DEVICE_ID?

I use analytics in 3 apps so they all request the ID_CAP_DEVICE_ID privilege - I've had no issues or emails about it so far.

Also, I doubt many people read the permissions dialog that pops up in the store when downloading apps.

Thanks thothernt.

Nokia Developer Champion

I'm sure others will offer their opinions as well.

Personally, I keep an eye out for apps that do very little yet need access to your Pictures, Music or Contacts - those are the apps to worry about

Nokia Developer Champion

There definitely are users who are sensitive to those permissions, especially given that they don't know that it's an ID that is unique for each App and almost impossible to track back to them.

As Theo already said though, you rarely see any noticable backlash if your App uses those permissions. Media Library and Contacts access are more problematic in that regard if people don't see a use case why the App would need such access.

Thanks SB_Dev.

I can see why on Pictures and Contacts, but why Music?

Does your use of the Media Library privilege map to ID_CAP_MEDIA_AUDIO? My app doesn't need access to music, but some apps do speech reco & Text To Speech and play sound effects. Won't I need access to ID_CAP_MEDIA_AUDIO if want to do those tasks, even though I don't need access to their music library?

Same question for ID_CAP_MEDIA_PHOTO. Don't I need access to the capability if I let the user take pictures and modify them, even if I don't want access to their existing photo library (camera roll, etc.)?

Nokia Developer Champion

To my knowledge (didn't have the issue yet in one of my Apps) you'd only need the ID_CAP_ISV_CAMERA to access the Camera. ID_CAP_MEDIALIB_PHOTO is for accessing the Media Library. If you have a photography focused App however people won't have an issue with that App requiring access to the Media Library. For playing sound effects an App does not require ID_CAP_MEDIALIB_AUDIO - you only need that to access the Media Library but not to play assets that are part of your App (it might be different if you'd need the background playback service - didn't check that).

One issue that exists is that WP7 Apps only have one capability for the whole media library.

If you have a use case that the user can understand it's not an issue but if your App requires Capabilities that look like you're accessing his data without a good reason for doing so that is more likely to lead to trouble. In general it's always a good idea to use as little permissions as possible. (Some people even have issues with an App requiring network connectivity at all).

Solid advice SB Dev, thanks.