Discussion Board

Question YouTube videos do not play full screen on a user's phone

I have an app that has a few pages with a web browser control on them. The web browser control contains a web page with a YouTube video player loaded in it, thumbnail preview with play button, standard YouTube player HTML. When you click on the player, the YouTube player is launched (that is, you exit my app while the browser launches the YouTube player app). I just got a bad review from a user in the USA complaining that despite the content being good, the videos don't play full-screen. I have no control of this since my app is no longer present when the YouTube player takes control. On my phone, and as far as I know all my other users, they do play full screen. What could be the reason that this particular users phone doesn't play the videos full screen?
    Last edited by roschler; 2014-01-18 at 12:44.

Regular Contributor

Re: YouTube videos do not play full screen on a user's phone

Hi roschler,

I am not too sure about the cause of this issue but while embedding youtube videos on your website, Youtube Player API allows you to set allowfullscreen parameter to false. Which disables the full screen. Maybe the Youtube app is taking that parameter into account.

Regards,
    Vinay

Thanks Vinay. Perhaps I'll just add "allowfullscreen=true" to every URL just to see if that helps.

Nokia Developer Champion

If that doesn't work, post some code on how you're currently playing the videos.

I currently have an app in the store which displays local news. For the article, I use the WebBrowser control and sometimes YouTube videos are used so I might be able to help?

Hello Neil,

The code's about as basic as it comes. I put a WebBrowser control on the Layout and feed it a string containing the HTML for a web page that embeds the YouTube player:

//Other
    var web = new WebBrowser()
    {
    Height = 600,
    IsScriptEnabled = true
    };

web.NavigateToString(string.Format("<!doctype html>" +
    "<html><head><title></title></head><body style=background-color:black;>" +
    "<iframe height=\"600\" src=\"http://www.youtube.com/embed/{0}\" width=\"1000\"></iframe>" +
    "</body></html>", video));

LayoutRoot.Children.Clear();
    LayoutRoot.Children.Add(web);
    It's the only complaint I've heard out of a few thousand downloads so I'm guessing it's some weird setting on the user's phone?

Nokia Developer Champion

Just double checked with my code and the HTML in the articles I show, it's basically the same.

The IFRAME code points to YouTube so it always loads a) the latest and b) the correct JS and video for the platform requesting it.

Also, when a video is launched from Internet Explorer (IE) or the WebBrowser control, it will always launched full-screen. There is no option to do otherwise.

I think the person who left the 1* review a) has no idea what they're doing or b) saw an animated GIF, maybe?

Ah 1-star reviews. Every day I have to stop myself from creating a parody video on that topic. You know it's bad when you see 4 or 5 star apps with reviews from supportive users bashing the 1-star users.

I wonder if they saw the thumbnail for the video player and thought it wasn't full screen, never even clicking on the player to watch the video. I guess I'll never know but a big thanks for checking that.