Discussion Board

How to synthesize speech to an audio file in Windows Phone 8

In Android, the TTS api can synthesize text into an audio file - synthesizeToFile. Can the same thing be done using Windows Phone?

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: How to synthesize speech to an audio file in Windows Phone 8

I don't have practical experience with the TTS Api but the SpeechSynthesizer class's interface seems to only support output over the speaker: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...vs.105%29.aspx

Although I am a Windows Phone user myself, but this kind of thing really makes me worry. How can the speech API designer to be such a damn fool? This is such a basic need. Also how can such a obvious design flaw not remedied after 3 years? Three long years

Nokia Developer Champion

The oversight is probably down to time. WP7 was put together quite quickly (late 2010) and the APIs didn't develop over the next 2 years.

WP8 was a re-implementation on top of WinRT (well, some of it) and although some new features were added, I'm sure time was an issue again.

I can't really explain why there's been so little progress (API and user-feature-wise) since WP8's release in late 2012. Microsoft have re-organised since and the hope is that the Windows Phone Team and Windows Team will actually work together in future and add the APIs that other platforms have been enjoying for a year or two now!

Nokia Developer Champion

The Speech API to my knowledge did not exist prior to WP8. What use case do you have exactlly?

I cannot believe that the design flaw is due to time, probably is due to stupidity. Countless proofs just tell me there are way too many damn fools in Microsoft or some other big names, Intel, etc. Of course there are those brilliant people as well. But still it's sad to see such things happen.

SB Dev, about the user case, I want my app to be able to tell user the current time periodically.
    Last edited by imgen; 2014-01-17 at 07:03.

Nokia Developer Champion

And what exactlly is the problem with calling SpeakTextAsync(string text) whenever you need to tell the user the time? Is there a particular reason for needing to calculate those sound samples ahead of time and storing them in a file? Just trying to fully understand the issue.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Hi imgen.

First a quick note. Please refrain from using expressions like "How can the speech API designer to be such a damn fool?" or "I cannot believe that the design flaw is due to time, probably is due to stupidity."

Saying that, I'm also puzzled as SB Dev on the need to save the TTS output to a file. If you can use it at any time, why do you want to store it as a file? Isn't that redundant?