Discussion Board

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Nokia Developer Champion

Re: New Nokia Developer Beta

Statcounter currently puts Chrome at about a 45% usage share worldwide: http://gs.statcounter.com/#desktop-b...-201301-201401

That's the percentage of potential users that are currently seeing issues (even if it seems to be more pronounced on the Mac version). I know Statcounter isn't an exact measurement and usage in the dev community might deviate from that figure but I also believe that it makes a strong argument. Best of luck in the future talks on the issue - I know such things can be difficult in a big corporation.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    Thread listings are fine, however I find the threads themselves very strange.
    Timestamp eats up an entire line, ok at the end of the line there is #x, the sequence number.
    Then comes the poster, with the online-offline marker appearing as "subscript", centered on the baseline of the text.
    Then half line lower there is the title of the post. Then the actual post resides in a box, with visible top and left margin, and a glitch in the corner (the left border starts a few pixels below the top border). And if the user has signature (like Neil), I see that in an other box. This has visible top and left borders too, but they meet at least.
    If I still have the strange things tomorrow, I will post some screenshots (I am on very low bandwidth now).
    I agree with the remark about readability, the font is very narrow, and the text is some gray on a too light background.
    Text on "Post Quick Reply", "Go Advanced", "Cancel" buttons feels blurry in Chrome.
    and
    The board listings are overly spacious for me, Chrome and IE 11, both on Win7 32.
    Also, the last column has an extra line, which worsens the situation:
    Code:
    News, Announcements and Job Listings ..... Threads: 1,252 ........ Symbian Signed program will...
    News , product annoucements and job listings .... Posts: 6,634 ................ <empty space in the 3rd column>
    <empty space> ............................ <empty space> ........................... by hamishwillee 
    <empty space> ............................ <empty space> ........................... Yesterday, 04:16
    I believe all of these have been fixed (apart from darker font colour which is part of the design). If you disagree, and you please raise a separate note for the outstanding issues. Jen, this was internally tracked here.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Yes, the spaciousness issue and some others were reported as gone in #23. I think the font has become darker too (or my pupils wider), but now I am a bit confused by the related remark in your post.

However the Discussion Board title is still stuck to the left edge of the window in 1920x1080 (while everything else has a symmetrical margin from both sides of the window). I see that in both Chrome and IE10.

When trying to edit your own profile from discussion board section, you can't.
    Steps to reproduce (firefox on a mac):
    1. login
    2. go to discussion board section
    3. click on "Welcome <username>" in upper left of the page
    4. a message says: "you're currently logged out"
    5. if you click on "sign into your account" a toatl white small window appears

see attached jpeg

br
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	first.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	1564   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	second.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	1565  

Nokia Developer Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by pavarang View Post
    1. login

see attached jpeg

br
    Thanks pavarang. Are others having this problem as well? I'm not so I just want to confirm whether this is a global problem or whether it's restricted to just certain logins.

Same problem..2 tries. second try exact same issue as above. In first try, the login appears in place of the blank small window in step 5 of pavarang, but after I enter credentials, says login error and asks to relogin by going back to sso page (that message I could not get too accurately hence the second try which gave exact result as pavarang), after which it gives the blank small screen!!

Tried it on IE

If you didnt have the problem and we have it, and looking at the sso login issue, I believe its linked to the classic issue that we have discussed on many occasions in the past (Hamish and other moderators and older members are aware if it.) which had remained unolved till this refresh. This issue was related to a login problem when loggin into the DiBo..it did not load the page after logging into the first time and gave error and one had to refresh the page to continue..you might find this issue in the JIRA or something similar bug reporting tool that is used internally

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Symbian_Neil View Post
    If you didnt have the problem and we have it, and looking at the sso login issue, I believe its linked to the classic issue that we have discussed on many occasions in the past (Hamish and other moderators and older members are aware if it.) which had remained unolved till this refresh. This issue was related to a login problem when loggin into the DiBo..it did not load the page after logging into the first time and gave error and one had to refresh the page to continue..you might find this issue in the JIRA or something similar bug reporting tool that is used internally
    That behaviour has been here for a long, long time. It still is. At least for me.

Quote Originally Posted by petrib View Post
    That behaviour has been here for a long, long time. It still is. At least for me.
    Yes indeed its been there since real long, but lately my login to Dibo goes well...The login issue was specific (if I remember correctly) to Dibo..i.e. logging in through the Dibo caused this and no other ND sites (wiki, etc). So just thinking that it might have moved to the above scenerio (which for me is reproducable) as described by pavarang. But looking at Petri's comment, looks that its still an issue to each user, only that its experienced at different places to everybody!!

Quote Originally Posted by hamishwillee View Post
    Note that these will be/are stored under the Asha link. We don't intend to go back "to the beginning of time" here - but current and recent devices will be updated.
    Actually going back to the beginning of time (or more specifically, the first Java ME 1.0 devices) is precisely what I need, please. As I say you do not need to go to the effort of migrating these, I'm not asking for that. Just zip up the old pages into a single archive and make them available as a download so we can access it as an offline website. You had this data up for years and years until the abrupt removal so it's not like there are policy or copyright issues etc. If we'd known we could have archived it ourselves, no problem. But there was no warning.

I agree with the cleanup of the site, and not keeping older device specs online in the new era etc, that's all fair enough. Just please don't make it impossible for people that want it to access the old data. Please note that web archival websites such as waybackmachine are NOT good enough, because I have already checked them, and they are missing vast amounts of device specs, and the pages are broken so don't display properly, and the sites are extremely slow - getting hold of a few hundred device pages would take many hours.

Please Nokia just provide a zip of the old pages. You still have them...

Thanks
    Alex

However the Discussion Board title is still stuck to the left edge of the window in 1920x1080 (while everything else has a symmetrical margin from both sides of the window). I see that in both Chrome and IE10.
    wizard, the team has told me that they've now resolved this one. Could you double-check that this is working as you expect now? Thanks for reporting this.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by alexkerr View Post
    Actually going back to the beginning of time (or more specifically, the first Java ME 1.0 devices) is precisely what I need, please. As I say you do not need to go to the effort of migrating these, I'm not asking for that. Just zip up the old pages into a single archive and make them available as a download so we can access it as an offline website. You had this data up for years and years until the abrupt removal so it's not like there are policy or copyright issues etc. If we'd known we could have archived it ourselves, no problem. But there was no warning.

I agree with the cleanup of the site, and not keeping older device specs online in the new era etc, that's all fair enough. Just please don't make it impossible for people that want it to access the old data. Please note that web archival websites such as waybackmachine are NOT good enough, because I have already checked them, and they are missing vast amounts of device specs, and the pages are broken so don't display properly, and the sites are extremely slow - getting hold of a few hundred device pages would take many hours.

Please Nokia just provide a zip of the old pages. You still have them...

Thanks
    Alex
    You can always try wayback machine...
    - <a href="http://www.dvlup.com/influencer/invite">Visit DVLUP and earn rewards</a>

Quote Originally Posted by pavarang View Post
    1. login

see attached jpeg

br
    Thanks everyone for your posts about this. They are looking into the problem.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by BuildNokia View Post
    I think it's a valid point, influencer, and I know that others have mentioned it as well. If anyone has any ideas for an alternative navigation let me know. Otherwise I have some ideas that I can run by the team.
    I think the previous design which had Wiki, Discussion Board in the drop down menu (visible when hovered over 'Community' button/tab) was also good, so we can have something on the same line.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by BuildNokia View Post
    I agree. However this is proving to be a tricky one to address, as a lot of people were involved in the UI design for the site, and all of those people would need to buy in to any sweeping changes. I am doing what I can. Your feedback is helpful - thanks.
    That's fine - as long as people are aware