Discussion Board

Black update and Bluetooth LE, no devices found :-(

Hi

I have updated my Lumia 925 and my 920 with the Black update, and now I would like to try the new Bluetooth LE feature. Nokia said that it will now support communication with BLE devices, ex. medical devices nd so on. But none is found, I have tried with ibeacon devices, but no luke

Then I found this on the support site:

"Currently Nokia Lumia phones with Bluetooth LE feature enabled only support Adidas MiCoach accessories.",
    http://www.nokia.com/us-en/support/f...topic=FA142060

Why is i so??? Why has Nokia only support for "Adidas MiCoach accessories???? Does anybody know, Nokia has no reply at all!!!

Super Contributor

Re: Black update and Bluetooth LE, no devices found :-(

Basically, the Black Update introduced some new private API and drivers so only certain OEMs can use it.

It's likely they'll be new Bluetooth APIs (support for LE, etc) in Windows Phone 8.1 which will be introduced at Build 2014.

Ok, thanks so basically it is all wrong that Nokia said it now supports Bluetooth LE in the Black update?

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by fwj View Post
    Ok, thanks so basically it is all wrong that Nokia said it now supports Bluetooth LE in the Black update?
    What they've said is correct, but I'd double check that a specific products are supported before buying it.

Nokia are in a tricky position as they can't add features for developers to use as it's not their platform. Microsoft own it and have been very slow to iterate the platform and introduce new features. That said, we're hoping for lots of good news on this front in April.

It is partially correct. Nokia supports the underlying "infrastructure" on all phones since Black (the last update added support for a bunch of phones, but not all). So if you have access to a private/OEM API you could use these.

However as theothernt says, there is no public API yet. We hope that Microsoft will provide a public API update to support Bluetooth LE in the near future.

OK thanks, sorry to hear that Nokia/Microsoft says it now supports BLE, but it only added some infrastructure, but not for use for all app developers :-/. I am looking forward to this years Build, maybe they will release some update or a new OS for Windows Phone that supports BLE. I have several POC projects on my desk I want to implement with BLE!

Re: Black update and Bluetooth LE - no support yet.

OK thanks, sorry to hear that Nokia/Microsoft says it now supports BLE, but it only added some infrastructure, but not for use for all app developers :-/. I am looking forward to this years Build, maybe they will release some update or a new OS for Windows Phone that supports BLE. I have several POC projects on my desk I want to implement with BLE!
    I have an industrial application that would actually include the phone in the package.

I'll give this until Build 2014 to get sorted out since it's only a month away.

After that, I'm out of the platform because I won't have any choice. And that would be a shame.