Discussion Board

Destop Qtlocation application

Hello,

I am new on this forum so hi everybody. I am here because I would like to develop Desktop applications with Qtlocation module.
    I installer on my ubuntu 12.04 qtlocation and I try to deploy an example named mapsdemo. On this computer the mapsdemo file works properly.

So I took all the necessary .so files and the mapsdemo file. I put it all on an other clean ubuntu 12.04 computer.
    When I run the mapsdemo file I get that error "No service providers are available".

So my questions are why do I get this error?
    I red that a pluging is necessary to be able to use QGeoServiceProvider but I don't really understand what could this be linked to my error?

Can anyone give me a answer or a advice?

Best regard.

Regular Contributor

Re: Destop Qtlocation application

My personal opinion,i think you will have better answer at Qt Centre Forum or Qt project forum.Nokia developer Qt section mainly is about symbian and meego harmattan.

Thank you for your advice. I post on this two websites messages but unfortunatly nobody has answered.
    I still have that trouble from long weeks. I am a bit desperate...

Regular Contributor

I know little about Qt but based on error you posted,doesn't it quite obvious that it cannot find a service provider and on QgeoServiceProvider it written that you should provide service provider list for the constructor.

QStringList QGeoServiceProvider::availableServiceProviders () [static]

Nokia Developer Moderator

http://www.qtcentre.org/threads/4447...for-QtLocation discusses creating a custom plugin, however at least they mention libqtgeoservices_nokia.so - have you copied such file too?
    They also mention some locations, which was a bit cryptic for me at the first glance, but a Google search for create qt plugin brought me http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.8/plugins-howto.html, which emphasizes the importance of putting plugins into plugin/xy directories. So even if you copied libqtgeoservices_nokia.so, it should probably go to plugins/geoservices.

Thank you for you answers.

When I use the ldd command on mapsdemo file there is no libqtgeoservices_nokia.so in the list.
    This library is not linked in the .pro file of the mapsdemo example. So I don't think it it necessary to add that library.

However I try to put all the .so generate by the Qtlocation module on my second computer but it still get the result.

Thank you for the link, I try to build the same library, in fact there is a example in qtlocation module named geoservice/nokia which allow you to rebuilt the libqtgeoservices_nokia.so library. I think it what they try to do in the link. I try it and I made a new libqtgeoservices_nokia.so but I still have the same error.

EDIT:

So I rebuild the libqtgeoservices_nokia.so and I change the name of the service "myservice". I erase the previous version and now for the command:
    QStringList services = QGeoServiceProvider::availableServiceProviders();

I get :
    services :
    nokia
    mynewone

So it seems to work and this lib is finally use in the process even if it is not written in the ldd command. I still have the problem on my second computer.
    All the librarie have been put on a directory on my desktop and I had a conf file in /etc/ld.so.conf to tell the computer where the library is located.
    The I run sudo ldconfig and all the library is list now. But no service are still find...

What am I doing wrong?
    Last edited by bird12358; 2014-02-08 at 12:11.

Nokia Developer Moderator

I do not know too well neither Qt, nor Linux, however generally when I read 'plug-in', I imagine a library which is not known in compilation time, only its interface is specified. So from this point of view it is not particularly interesting that the .pro file does not mention all possible geoservices plugins, including ones implemented in the future, because they are going to be found in runtime, based on location (in the mentioned plugins/geoservices directory).

I finally succed to deploy the example on my other computer thank to you. In fact I had to collect all the library generated by qtlocation and put some library in plugings/geoservices directory.
    I would like to be able to put ll the libraryq in the root directory I think I will have to modift the .pro of the nokia projet.

I will try to find it.

Thank you for your help.