Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nokia Developer Champion

Hi,

We have featured Optical Reader Library for Windows Phone 8 article on Nokia Developer Wiki.

The library can be used for decoding barcodes "out of the box" and should do an impressive job even in Lumia devices with reduced camera specifications.

What is even more cool about the library is that both the pre-processor used for preparing the image and the decoder can be replaced. We're hoping that the community will use the task and experiment with different enhancements/decoders - perhaps to read altogether different types of codes, or to read codes in particularly poor light - or perhaps which are even moving.

Please use this thread to let us know what you think of the library, show off what you've tried, and let us know how else you'd like to see the library be improved. The more interest there is, the more likely it is that this library will receive more investment!

Thanks,
    Kiran (Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team)
    Last edited by hamishwillee; 2014-02-11 at 07:02. Reason: A little more background on this added to thread (thanks Kiran)
    Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Feedback : Optical Reader Library for Windows Phone 8

The library is excellent, and a component that has been missing for a long time in the WP ecosystem - especially as the other samples for using the ZXing library don't work too well.

As such, I have a few questions / suggestions:

- It would be a lot easier if the Nuget package could be published online in the NuGet package repository!

- Please update the library to the new Nokia Imaging SDK

- Any chance of a port for Windows 8? I'd need that for a project currently, but will need to investigate myself in case you don't have anything in that direction yet.

- When starting the viewfinder screen, the camera image is briefly a wrong size before it is properly fullscreen. Making the entrance of the viewfinder a bit more direct would be great!

- The rectangle that is placed over the detected barcode doesn't usually correspond to the real barcode dimensions - if the library doesn't need the whole barcode and doesn't bother to determine the exact dimensions for performance reasons, it would be good to have an option to disable drawing the highlight. An alternative would be to have just a general highlight (e.g., a circle that fades out towards its borders) on top of the barcode location, instead of lines that seem to indicate the exact barcode dimensions.

Great job with the library, I'd be very happy if you can continue developing it!

Nice library. But what about universal app? Will you port library for universal app?

Quote Originally Posted by sharp.dev.crew View Post
    Nice library. But what about universal app? Will you port library for universal app?
    This is very good question, because now there is a really big problem with implemeneting your library

I got an Error "Nokia Image doesn't Support any CPU target platform " While developing the Bar Code .

Nokia Developer Champion

You can't use the Build-Target "Any CPU" in any project that is using the Imaging SDK. The measures to fix this issue are described here: http://developer.nokia.com/resources...e-project.html

But it is Taking too much time to Capture the Data and mostly it is not getting Identification Mark ( green line) , I need to scan with in fraction of seconds i got the data

Nokia Developer Champion

What exactlly is your use case? Camera focusing takes time and in certain situation it takes time to adapt the Camera to the lighting. In one example I did without the auto focus and used manual focusing instead. Quite often I was then able to detect the barcode on the first frame that came in from the Camera. However optical scanner libraries I have seen so far on any platform don't come close in detection time to laser scanners (which don't need to focus anything and don't have problems with lighting in general - although they have problems detecting codes displayed on some smartphone displays).

Thanks ,

Yes ,You're right,But in my case end user not have time to focus lighting ,set adjustment and checking ..... ,So i need to make fast and reliable with the Identification line(scanner line) .Can you suggest me any alternative ?

Nokia Developer Champion

You can manually focus the Camera to the closest position when you initialize it and you could initialize the Camera on App Startup so it is ready for action when you need it to actually scan a code but that might result in additional power draw. This will work nicely in most conditions. It will still require time to adapt to lighting and will have issues recognizing barcodes in bad lighting (depending a lot on the actual camera hardware in the device being used). I don't see a way to fully work around that without adding e.g. a laserscanner that is connected to the phone via Bluetooth.

Ok but why sometimes i didn't get Scanner line ? if it is appear on image user easily try to adjust the directions .

Nokia Developer Champion

What exactlly do you mean by "Scanner line"? Didn't the preview image show up so the user could position the Camera correctly? Was there an issue with recognition after the barcode was lined up? What kind of Barcode are you scanning exactlly?

pls check this

http://cdn.marketplaceimages.windows...=ws_icon_large

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/...1dmunzajpg.jpg

It creates some interest and try to do some adjustment by the End user .

I have found this SDK very helpful and made the accuracy of barcode Scanning 1D and 2D much simpler, thanks for that, its something Windows Phones have needed for a long time.

I have however come across a potential issue, which I would like to bring to light. I have built a very simple barcode scanner for my Nokia Lumia 920 and it works like a dream, but when I port the application on my new Nokia Lumia 930, the capture screen displays the usual capture rectangle but the image is just black , therefore you cannot see where you are scanning, it appears to go through the focussing as the flashlight comes on, but no image is ever captured.

I believe this SDK has dependencies on Zxing and Nokia Imaging SDK and I have upgraded these to the latest version ( Zxing 0.14.0.1) and (Nokia Imaging SDK 1.2) but I still have the issue. If anyone could shed some light onto this and any potential solutions it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
    Matt Hobson

Update:
    --------
    Just running it with the ShowDebugInformation = True and it indicates that the Area.Width must be <= 16383... Will investigate further to see if this is related to the scan area not being shown.

Update:
    ---------
    Just opened up the source for the Optical Reader library and it appears to set the sensor size, focal lengths etc... for each Nokia Lumia phone. The 930 is not listed, therefore its unable to determine the Device settings. I have added a section in my own code for RM-1045 (Nokia Lumia 930) and the preview is working OK and scanning barcodes.
    Last edited by MattHobson; 2014-07-19 at 19:16.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Thank you Matt, for the update

Can you share the code you changed?