Discussion Board

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Feedback : Optical Reader Library for Windows Phone 8

Quote Originally Posted by joaocardoso View Post
    Thank you Matt, for the update

Can you share the code you changed?
    Of course, it was quite easy to change and if you have any other Nokia phones which are not listed, they are easily added. You just need to know the Sensor size (in millimetres/cm) and focus lengths..

In the Internal folder there is a file called DeviceInformationCollector.cs
    Within GetInformation you will see that it interrogates the DeviceStatus.DeviceName and checks if the Name which I assume is the Manufacturers internal ID for the phone. For the Nokia Lumia 930 I just added the following

else if (name.Contains("RM-1045"))
    {
    return new DeviceInformation()
    {
    Name = "Lumia 930",
    SensorSize = new Windows.Foundation.Size(6.8, 5.1),
    MinimumFocusDistance = 100,
    FocalLength35Equivalent = 26
    };
    }

Regards
    Matt Hobson
    Last edited by MattHobson; 2014-07-22 at 18:07.

Hi, any plans to update the Optical Reader Library with the latest Nokia Imaging SDK (1.0.272 -> 1.2.151) and the latest (0.12.0-> 0.14.0.1)??
    The library is a bit outdated. I would like to use it in Windows Phone 8.1 out of the box.
    Thanks!!
    Last edited by followsun; 2014-08-28 at 19:43.

Hi Matt

I tried the above solution and i've edited the OpticalReaderLib.dll using .net reflector with the reflexil add-on. I added the above suggested code as a solution i.e. RM-1045 for the 930 but when i save the new dll and reference it my camera is still just displaying the black screen. It works for the lumia 920. Is there not a direct download link to an updated version of OpticalReaderLib.dll with this code already compiled in it? Please will you let me know. You can even send me an email (...edited out...)
    Much appreciated
    Last edited by Symbian_Neil; 2014-09-12 at 15:53. Reason: edited out the email id

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Morne View Post
    . You can even send me an email (...edited out...)
    you can always check back here or even subscribe to the thread to receive email notifications in case of updates in the thread. Giving out email id on a public forum is not the safest (nor necessary) thing to do..hence I have edited out your email id and ofcourse deleted out your duplicate post in this same thread

Nokia Developer Champion

To my knowledge there is no such compiled package. Instead of editing the DLL with some tool you can however just Download the source of the Library from here: http://developer.nokia.com/community...20140116132710

Thanks I downloaded the source code from http://developer.nokia.com/community...20140116132710 and added in the "else if" code for the Lumia 930. It works on the 930 when the target platform is set to Windows Phone 8.0 but as soon as you change it to Windows Phone 8.1 the black screen appears again when you try scan. Is this not supported for target platform WP8.1? I will see if I can find a workaround in the code so long. Please let me know. Thanks

Thanks I downloaded the source code from http://developer.nokia.com/community...20140116132710 and added in the "else if" code for the Lumia 930. It works on the 930 when the target platform is set to Windows Phone 8.0 but as soon as you change it to Windows Phone 8.1 the black screen appears again when you try scan. Is this not supported for target platform WP8.1? I will see if I can find a workaround in the code so long. Please let me know. Thanks

Hi Morne,

I upgraded the Nokia Imaging SDK and the Zxing.Net library (14.0.1) in the project (via the Package Manager) to the latest versions and it works a treat on my Nokia Lumia 930 which is running Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview. It also works on my old Nokia Lumia 920 running Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview, using the Black Firmware and not the latest Cyan version. It may be that you are using the older versions of the Nokia Imaging SDK or the Zxing.Net library.

Regards
    Matt

PS. I downloaded the Optical Reader source code and changed it in there and recompiled.

Hi Matt

I tried the above solution and i've edited the OpticalReaderLib.dll using .net reflector with the reflexil add-on. I added the above suggested code as a solution i.e. RM-1045 for the 930 but when i save the new dll and reference it my camera is still just displaying the black screen. It works for the lumia 920. Is there not a direct download link to an updated version of OpticalReaderLib.dll with this code already compiled in it? Please will you let me know. You can even send me an email (...edited out...)
    Much appreciated

Thanks Matt

I checked all my packages are up to date and ive got the versions which you've specified. I picked up that this black screen only comes up as soon as you change the target windows phone OS Version from Windows phone 8.0 to Windows Phone 8.1 (right click on OpticalReaderApp project file > Application tab). My app is targeting this OS 8.1 version. I cant figure out why its causing the black screen. I've got the Cyan version. So I've got the nokia lumia 930 running Windows Phone 8.1 Update. Any ideas?

Hi Morne,

Just opened up my tweaked version of the Optical Reader Library and I have left the target as Windows 8.0, with the changes to the DeviceCollector.cs file. Just looked at my application and that is targeting Windows Phone 8.1 (Silverlight) as it uses WCF. The optical Reader library does reference the latest packages for Zxing and Nokia Imaging Library.

As you can see, I have modified the image capture screen to display the Device being used, plus the focus information from the DeviceCollector.

Regards
    Matt

Hi Matt

I did exactly the same as you and have exactly the same setup. Kept the Opitcallibarary project to 8.0 and my solution that's referencing that dll 8.1 Silverlight. I also updated the nugget packages in the project to the latest ones. Same issue i.e. black screen. I will keep trying but it really doesn't make sense why its not working and I need this functionality. I wonder if its gotto do with the cyan version of the 930?

Hi Matt

I did exactly the same as you and have exactly the same setup. Kept the Opitcallibarary project to 8.0 and my solution that's referencing that dll 8.1 Silverlight. I also updated the nugget packages in the project to the latest ones. Same issue i.e. black screen. I will keep trying but it really doesn't make sense why its not working and I need this functionality. I wonder if its gotto do with the cyan version of the 930?
    Hi Morne,

This is really puzzling, have you tried to debug with the phone attached to the PC and maybe worth putting some breakpoints in the GetInformation routine and stepping through that to ensure that the DeviceInformation is being populated. I found that when the sensor size details were not populated then I would get a black screen too. I am just wondering if your phone is returning something different than RM1045... in the device name. I then put an else condition at the bottom of the routine which captured any other device type and just defaulted it to the Nokia Lumia 920 Camera characteristics. I am running on Cyan too on my Nokia Lumia 930 and still running the Black firmware on my Nokia 920. Mine is on a UK (now includes Scotland ;-) ) based phone.. with the operator being EE.

Regards
    Matt

PS, This is probably a long shot as I cannot see your Application Source code, in your declarations are you importing\using Microsoft.Devices.

VB
    Imports OpticalReaderLib
    Imports Microsoft.Devices

C#
    using OpticalReaderLib;
    using Microsoft.Devices;
    Last edited by MattHobson; 2014-09-19 at 13:54.

Hi!
    Just add Width and Height to Canvas at: OpticalReaderLib/Internal/OpticalReaderPage.xaml line:41

<Canvas x:Name="Canvas" Grid.ColumnSpan="3" Grid.RowSpan="3" Width="640" Height="480"

Quote Originally Posted by MattHobson View Post
    Hi Morne,

This is really puzzling, have you tried to debug with the phone attached to the PC and maybe worth putting some breakpoints in the GetInformation routine and stepping through that to ensure that the DeviceInformation is being populated. I found that when the sensor size details were not populated then I would get a black screen too. I am just wondering if your phone is returning something different than RM1045... in the device name. I then put an else condition at the bottom of the routine which captured any other device type and just defaulted it to the Nokia Lumia 920 Camera characteristics. I am running on Cyan too on my Nokia Lumia 930 and still running the Black firmware on my Nokia 920. Mine is on a UK (now includes Scotland ;-) ) based phone.. with the operator being EE.

Regards
    Matt

PS, This is probably a long shot as I cannot see your Application Source code, in your declarations are you importing\using Microsoft.Devices.

VB
    Imports OpticalReaderLib
    Imports Microsoft.Devices

C#
    using OpticalReaderLib;
    using Microsoft.Devices;