Discussion Board

HERE-Sdk for Android?

There are rumours, that Nokia is coming up with a Android-phone, which even includes the HERE-maps.
    Since I'm busy porting our WP8-app using HERE-maps to Android, are you guys planing to make the HERE-Sdk available to Android-developers?
    I
    Tom

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: HERE-Sdk for Android?

As always we do not speculate with Rumors in here. thus you should find other places for the discussions. Thus here we discuss things which are publicly available, and as there is no such offering available, there is no points on raising any discussions for it.

Nokia Developer Champion

I guess you'll find all the information on Here Maps on different platforms here: https://developer.here.com/

As far as I can see there already is a Here SDK for Android but it's only accessible through OEM partners. So even if Nokia brought such a device you would likely not be able to use the SDK for all Android devices. If I remember correctly Amazon has licensed the Here Mapping Technology for their Android based Kindle Fire Products so that might be a way to see how Here Maps is handled on Android.

I'm just asking as a owner of a company developing and selling gps-software who needs to take care of his developing-resources.
    I know about the sdk for oems, but things can change, so before we start with all the effort on getting into google-maps, I rather make sure.
    Ok, now I still don't know
    Thanks,
    Tom

yep, amazon API can be found from: https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/maps.html

that would be really cool... but its restricted to Amazons Kindle, no phones or tablets

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_nam View Post
    I'm just asking as a owner of a company developing and selling gps-software who needs to take care of his developing-resources.
    I know about the sdk for oems, but things can change, so before we start with all the effort on getting into google-maps, I rather make sure.
    Ok, now I still don't know
    Thanks,
    Tom
    Basically, doing something based on rumors is not productive, thus I definitely would not us start discussing any rumors in here. Basically I would still just repeat the point that there is no offering published for Nokia devices, thus there are no information available of such offering, and thus I would not have anything to discuss on that.

Anyway, if you are really interested on how HERE Maps offerings are working on Android, basing the discussion on the Amazon API, and the publicly available information for it. then Basically I could be happy on discussing that topic from that angle. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    if you are really interested on how HERE Maps offerings are working on Android, basing the discussion on the Amazon API, and the publicly available information for it. then Basically I could be happy on discussing that topic from that angle. :-)
    Of course I am.
    We spend a lot of time in developing with the HERE-api on WP8 and we learned a lot of knowledge about this.
    With our Windows-Software we were Navteq-customers for many years (raw-mapdata, shp).
    So it would be nice to stay in that "family", benefiting from all the knowledge even on Android.
    Tom

So, now after the press conference of Mr. Elop at MWC its not rumours any more
    Tom

You would be perfectly right. So in next few minutes we should be seeing Nokia X platform at: http://developer.nokia.com/platforms , and from there you could navigate to docs section. anyway, I think I need to wait untill stuff starts appearing in there.