Discussion Board

Porting Google Maps v2 to HERE Maps

Hi,

I tried to port my Google Maps v2 to HERE Maps but I didn’t succeed.

I always get:
    [2014-02-26 02:41:04 - com.sourcecastle.mytimex] Installation error: INSTALL_FAILED_MISSING_SHARED_LIBRARY
    [2014-02-26 02:41:04 - com.sourcecastle.mytimex] Please check logcat output for more details.
    [2014-02-26 02:41:04 - com.sourcecastle.mytimex] Launch canceled!

I definately added the library project and marked the container it is placed in to export.

I’ve set up everything exactly as described there:
    http://developer.nokia.com/resources...here-maps.html
    It seems that it should be integrated exactly the same way as I integrated Google Maps v2.
    So actually very common to me…

I just have a bit different project structure as described in your manual.
    I have all my application codes and resources put into a library so that I have the same codebase for my free and paid version.
    But this is a very common approach.
    Are there any known issues with that project structure?

Can you help me find the problem?

Cheers,
    Stefan

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Porting Google Maps v2 to HERE Maps

the problem is not exactly the settings, but the running environment. Thus do check that you are running the application in Nokia X environment, i.e. see that the emulator target is Nokia X, or that the device you are running is indeed Nokia X device.

The failing comes from the uses-library statement in your manifest file, which indeed states that the here library is required. Setting the required to false would allow the installation, but then using the API in environment which does not have the library would cause other issues.

Thanks for quick reply!
    I already tried to set the required flag to false and your are right, it starts successfully but my app crashed when I try to open the map (what a surprise :P )
    Why do I need to use a specific emulator or device?
    If it works as good as Google Maps I may want to use HERE only…
    I don’t understand why I can’t launch my app on other devices. Is this library so restrictive? The app I created (I created a third application project beside my Free and Pro versions) is just a default android project…

For emulator setup, check the last step in: http://developer.nokia.com/resources...ent-setup.html
    There is also nice video provided for the steps.

In general, its working sort the same way as the Goggle V1 Maps did, i.e. the API library is not delivered as part of the APK, instead its loaded from the running environment, effectively meaning that you can use the API only with devices its supported in. Similarly the Emulator needs to be having the library, and thus you must use the Nokia X target in there.

Additionally, you need to see that the SD card is defined, and that the Use Host GPU box is selected. Anyway, check the video for detailed steps.

I spend hours to make it run on my Galaxy Note II but actually it makes sense to me. I guess this is because the HERE maps are available offline and therefore need a lot of map stuff installed on the device, right?
    Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

I'm not so much into the politics, thus would not know why the API is not available on other devices, just knowing the technical stuff in the end. Anyway, glad that you got it working.

For real device testing, do note that we have a roomful of real device right next to my office-room available online for you to use. Here's docs link to get you started: http://developer.nokia.com/resources...ick-guide.html

Already played with your devices
    Thank you for your assistance!