Discussion Board

Nokia Developer Administrator

Please use StackOverflow for Nokia X Community Support

If you have technical questions about developing for Nokia X, we encourage you to ask them on StackOverflow.

Nokia staff who are familiar with Nokia X will be answering questions at StackOverflow. In addition, StackOverflow already has a critical mass of developers who are very familiar with Android programming and the Java platform. We hope that once you’ve gotten the answers to your questions, you’ll give back to the community by responding to other peoples’ questions, too. Given these resources, we expect that you’ll get better, faster answers to your questions by posting them there.

You should add the tag nokiax to your question to get it to the right people. You may also add other relevant tags, depending on the nature of your question.

StackOverflow has sophisticated quality rating functionality. This means that once a question is answered, the response will be available to everyone who encounters the same problem in the future. It is therefore worth your time to carefully construct queries and responses, so that others can benefit from them going forward.

StackOverflow is focused on answering development-related questions. It is not meant for corporate announcements, or for general chat about the platform or the ups and downs of development, and posts of that nature are generally moderated out. It is for that reason that we have created the discussion board here. Please feel free to use the developer.nokia.com board for any discussion that is not appropriate for StackOverflow (of course, following the content norms of this site.) Nokia will also use this space for announcements and to communicate with you about the platform. We’ve also created a board here that you can use to ask questions about publishing Nokia X applications to the Nokia Store.

Finding information on StackOverflow is easy. Often, if you use an internet search engine to search for the answer to a technical question, one or more of the top search results will lead you to StackOverflow. StackOverflow’s internal search mechanism is quite effective too, in case you wish to narrow your results to just that site.

If you’re used to following along with discussions about a certain topic on developer.nokia.com, you can do that at StackOverflow, too. The easiest way is simply to go to StackOverflow and search for tags that interest you; so, in this case, search for nokiax. Once you’re familiar with this you can start experimenting with other tags. You might want to try here-maps, in-app-billing, or android. You can also combine multiple tags to get experts from different domains to look at your question. To view the entire list of tags in use at StackOverflow, visit the StackOverflow tag list.

Prefer to follow along from your inbox, or from an RSS feed reader? You can do that too. When you hover over a tag, two options show up: “subscribe” and “rss”. Select the one you want and follow the instructions to subscribe.

For more information about StackOverflow, please take their tour or visit their help center.

See you over at StackOverflow!
    Last edited by BuildNokia; 2014-04-22 at 00:00.

Re: Have questions about Nokia X development?

I've been asked a question about how long it takes to bypass StackOverflow's rate limiting algorithm that lets new users post only one response every three minutes. It's a good question so thought I'd bring it up here.

The answer is that you have to have 125 reputation. The rationale is that rate limiting for new users greatly reduces spam and hacking attempts. It can definitely be annoying to legitimate posters, though.

Complete rate limiting information here.

Re: Have questions about Nokia X development?

I tried to post the following question on stackoverflow.com, but it was dismissed:
    "This question body does not meet our quality standards. Please make sure that it completely describes your problem - including what you have already tried - and is written using proper grammar."

So here's my question:
    How can I link to my apps on the Nokia X store from within my Nokia X app?

(a) for rating the app
    like with Google Play: market://details?id=com.example.myapp

(b) to display a list of all my apps on the store
    like with Google Play: market://details?id=market://search?q=pub:Example.com
    Last edited by wizard_hu_; 2014-03-24 at 16:30. Reason: removed quotation

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: How can I link to my apps on the Nokia X store from within my Nokia X app?

If you click back to the board (Nokia X app development, http://developer.nokia.com/community...pp-development), the question on the bottom is exactly the same ("Linking to apps on the Nokia App Market Place").

Re: How can I link to my apps on the Nokia X store from within my Nokia X app?

Quote Originally Posted by Stiewie View Post
    I tried to post the following question on stackoverflow.com, but it was dismissed:
    "This question body does not meet our quality standards. Please make sure that it completely describes your problem - including what you have already tried - and is written using proper grammar."

So here's my question:
    How can I link to my apps on the Nokia X store from within my Nokia X app?

(a) for rating the app
    like with Google Play: market://details?id=com.example.myapp

(b) to display a list of all my apps on the store
    like with Google Play: market://details?id=market://search?q=pub:Example.com
    Welcome to Nokia Stiewie.

StackOverflow does tend to be overzealous about rejecting questions, especially for newer users there. I'm sorry you're experiencing that. You're welcome to post questions here if StackOverflow isn't working for you. I'm glad to see that your particular question has already been asked and answered. Let us know what else we can do to help.