Discussion Board

Pricing on NokiaX

Hi guys,

I have just uploaded two Android apps for NokiaX platform, but I can't find where to give it a price for a classic pay per download model, I can only see about in-app purchases.

Are only free apps allowed?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Pricing on NokiaX

There are no options for pay-by-download, so for payments, you would need to use the Nokia In Application payement API.

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi, there is another business model you might want to explore: the Try and Buy.

With Try and Buy, developers are able to offer a time or usage restricted version of their app that allows users to purchase the app after the trial has expired. Based on our analysis of consumer behavior in Nokia Store trials, Try and Buy provided 9 times more revenue than the traditional pay per download model.

Benefits of Nokia Try and Buy:

Builds on the same infrastructure and experience as Nokia In App Payment utilizing Operator Billing
    No changes to your code needed.
    Flexible configuration (time and/or usage)

Nokia Try and Buy will be available soon. We are currently piloting the solution with a limited number of developers.

Interested in participating? Please send us an email at tnb.info@nokia.com with details about your app and the reason you would like to participate in piloting our solution.

cheers
    ale
    Last edited by apistilli72; 2014-02-28 at 18:33.

On Google Play, I have some free apps, but use a "donation" app which people can buy to make a donation. This is not an uncommon way of doing donations (and I did a similar thing with Symbian on Nokia Store).

If paid apps aren't supported for Nokia X, how can I do this?

One possibility is to do donation by IAP in all my free apps, but that means recoding several apps. I'd also rather keep my apps purely free - people may be deterred from an app with IAP, thinking it's crippleware, and whilst IAP may be very popular, there are plenty who dislike it ( http://www.baekdal.com/opinion/how-i...-the-industry/ ). Personally I prefer the clearer free/paid distinction.

Another possibility is to make the donation app free, but use IAP to make the donation. This is still a code change, but at least only within one app. Another problem is that it's an extra unnecessary step for users.

Anyone have other ideas, or does Nokia have a way I could achieve this? (Could Try and Buy work for this, where the "Try" version is actually unlimited, and people can choose to buy?)

Also, does Nokia have a timescale when paid apps will be supported, or is this never intended to be implemented? I do find it rather bizarre - does Nokia want to make it harder for developers to move their Android apps to Nokia Store? It isn't just the extra code, but requiring developers to change their business models. Also many developers offer a free version with ads, and a paid no-ads version - what will happen is only the former is ported, with users having no way to pay for a no-ads version. This seems even more odd given that Nokia Store does support paid apps for other platforms.

Try and buy sounds interesting, though developers already do this on Google Play, with two separate free and paid apps. It's good to see Nokia is investigating other payment methods, but these don't make up for the loss of flexibility with simple one-off-payment apps.

adding the donations with NIAP is not that hard, I don't know which way the other denation APIs do work, but I would assume they do also need some 'codec change' to get it included. Would suggest you to check the API, and see that in teh end is not too much of work. Basically you need to create the service, bind it (and remember to unbind it), check that billing is supported, and then simply make the purchase, I suppose if you want to say 'Thank you' to the user then you would need to track down the successfull ending of teh purchase process (not a overkill either), and if you just ignore the actual results, you wouldn't need to even do it.

Nokia Developer Expert

You can define the trial period (in terms of running or launch times of the app).
    This way, your app is fully accessible to customers for a limited amount of time or tries.
    Once the trial period expires, the customers is prompted to purchase the app from within the app itself (no need to download a second APK from store).

It's a very powerful way to let customers to try your app before committing to buy it.
    The whole demo logic is managed by the T&B wrapper, so you can test it without the need of making any code changes.
    The first apps will be in the Store very soon, I'll post a reply here with some title soon.

cheers
    ale

FYI, this thread has been featured details of which can be found at http://developer.nokia.com/blogs/com...ured-dibo-post

well this is poor, no pay to download mode only free / in app or trial ?

crazy

Quote Originally Posted by tomstringer View Post
    well this is poor, no pay to download mode only free / in app or trial ?

crazy
    I believe the answers are already in the thread and in the blog mentioned in post #7