Discussion Board

Exclamation Black update has broken my app - Lumia 620

Hello,

I have also posted this to MSDN but was advised to ask here - was not aware of this forum

I have an audio app that is in the paid charts. It's been working fine from Windows Phone 7 up to the dev preview of GDR3. Since I installed the Black update on my 620 this evening it has caused a serious problem with the app.

To give a quick summary of the problem:

I use a MediaElement with a SetSource property pointing to an AudioStream class. This generates the audio and keeps the buffer filled on the GetSampleAsync override.
    Interacting with the audiostream to change any property of a sound such as the volume should take <500ms until it is heard. Since the Black update it is now taking around 5 seconds to have any action.

Any help is most appreciated. I can create a sample project to send to someone if required.

Thanks

Re: Black update has broken my app - Lumia 620

Update. Looks identical to this problem http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...orum=wpdevelop

I've managed to get around this problem by using XNA DynamicSoundEffectInstance instead of MediaElement for the streaming, although it will take a bit more work to convert everything in the app.

Now a bit of a rant:

How are we developers supposed to test these updates before they are released to the market. I had the developer GDR3 on my phone and my app was running fine on it but it was the extra Nokia part that broke it. To compound this, my phone is the 620 which has only got the update 2 months after it started rolling out so I was not aware this was causing problems as it is actually very rare for users to submit bug reports.
    And to make it even worse, Microsoft has heavily been promoting my app in the store for the last few weeks and it even got to number one position in the paid charts category due to the number of trial downloads. The download numbers have been 100-200 times normal but the paid conversions have been disappointing - but not really surprising when I am blissfully unaware that the app is basically unusable on every other Nokia phone.
    Not a happy developer.

Nokia Developer Champion

And this is a Windows Phone 7 app running on Windows Phone 8?

I have 2 versions Windows phone 7 & 8.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by MarkB View Post
    I have 2 versions Windows phone 7 & 8.
    Just curious.

If the issue only occurs with the Black update (and not GDR3 on its own), then the next step would be to confirm the issue doesn't occur on a HTC 8x or Samsung Ativ running GDR3 - do you have any users or testers who can do that for you?

I have a Beta tester with a HTC 8S. I believe these phones got the update around Nov/Dec last year. Have not heard about any problems.

Nokia Developer Champion

Do we already know wether the issue exists on other devices with Black as well or only on the 620?

The other bug report on MSDN, the developer had the problem on his 920. He left his 520 without the Black update for the testing. So that's 920+620 with a definite problem.