Discussion Board

Thread: learning c++

Question learning c++

Hello all,
    This question is pose to all developers here especially wizard with great knowledge and symbianyucca with his great symbian c++ skill.My favourite Os.
    Where did you all learning c++.I know i can learning from online tutorial but i am old school guy so i prefer old style learning and online is quite advance for me to understand.C++ already existed even before internet.There must be a way to learn it.Is there any school to go.I know only very little about c++ like the term "macro","clean up" but i have no idea what they mean what they are.Thank you

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: learning c++

From my side there is no good answer. I learned programming some "home computers" (Sinclair ZX81 and Commodore 16) in BASIC, from books, as a child. Then I wanted "power" so I went for machine code/assembly for both (Zilog Z80 and MOS 8501 respectively). Simply I had no access to other programming languages that time (1980s, Eastern Europe), I barely knew that such things existed.
    Then I got my first PC, and learned a new language, Turbo Pascal, and later assembly (intel 8086). It was at the age of 12, still in primary school, still accompanied by books. That time also I knew about C and C++ and hated them both. What are those *-s everywhere, why there is no INPUT (BASIC) or readln (Pascal), but this strange scanf with format strings, pointers, etc.
    At high school it was enough, and it was also enough for the first year of university. Then I learned C, and then C++, as regular, mandatory subjects. And 5 years later, started Symbian C++, in 2002.

It may seem like showing off, but what I actually tried to write: I do not know, I learnt C++ as part of a long story. While I studied C/C++ at school, prior to that I mostly learned from books. You can try that too. Also, if there are books in your native language, those may be easier to follow. However it may be less trivial to see if a book is good or not; but for example the famous Stroustrup book (Bjarne Stroustrup: The C++ Programming Language) is translated to a lot of languages. On the other hand it is not an "exciting" reading as a book (in contrast to the K&R C book for example).
    And if you are still at school, simply go for a C++ class, that worked for me too.
    For tutorials, I do not know, I simply have not checked C++ tutorials. The only one I know about is http://www.cplusplus.com/, but I am familiar with their language reference pages only, those are fine.

May I answer, too? If you are a self-learner, books like Sams Teach Yourself C++ is a good start especially as it covers C++11 and gives a very complete picture. Anyway, more books …
    C++ is not taught on many universities for more than fifteen years, now. Anyway, if you go for a degree in computer science, it is of no waste. You are going to learn C++ much faster and easier with the help of a book, then.

WOW.It took you guys decade just to be master. and you guy even started at early age.I already 26 years old.I guess it is too late now for me to be c++ expert like wizard and symbianyucca (both are my idol).My current skill is limited to qml only and even only know how to create simple Ui logic.Anthing more complex will boggle my mind with.Since i already quite old i'm not sure if it still do me any benefit going to school.If there is any c++ crash course,i might consider.How i wish i start learning programming in c++ at early age.

The moderation filter captured your post for some reason (unfortunately we can not see how it works). The post is validated now.

Back to the topic: are you sure you really need C++? For example if we look around on this very site, even on the platforms where C++ is an option, the primary language(s) is/are something different. If you go for Nokia X, that is going to be a kind of Java. For Windows Phone, it is mainly C# and Visual Basic. For Nokia Asha, there is a flavor of Java again. Note that despite the C in it, C# has more to do with Java than with C/C++. Symbian C++ is rather dead everywhere, Qt is rather dead as a Nokia platform.
    Also, the current platforms all tend to support Web Applications, HTML+JavaScript, which is incomparably more rewarding for a learner than anything listed previously.

Quote Originally Posted by newflyeraccount View Post
    I already 26 years old.
    I do not think that is too late. Actually, programming languages can be learned at any age (8 till 88), especially if your are open minded and you want to go for. The problem is to find a teaching course which does C++. Even 15 years ago, this was a problem already. Therefore, I recommend a degree or the self-learner approach.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    Back to the topic: are you sure you really need C++? For example if we look around on this very site, even on the platforms where C++ is an option, the primary language(s) is/are something different. If you go for Nokia X, that is going to be a kind of Java. For Windows Phone, it is mainly C# and Visual Basic. For Nokia Asha, there is a flavor of Java again. Note that despite the C in it, C# has more to do with Java than with C/C++. Symbian C++ is rather dead everywhere, Qt is rather dead as a Nokia platform.
    Also, the current platforms all tend to support Web Applications, HTML+JavaScript, which is incomparably more rewarding for a learner than anything listed previously.
    SORRY for the late reply as i have gone outstation.Back to topic.Even though all the mentioned language is supported in most platform but the native language for blackberry and and cross platform Qt is still c++ and Qt is not dead.Android,blackberry,desktop all now support Qt though not natively.To be honest i am not interested in developing for any platform from nokia.Asha is just a feature phone and window is symbian enemy and nokia x,i might as well develop for android.

I do not think that is too late. Actually, programming languages can be learned at any age (8 till 88), especially if your are open minded and you want to go for. The problem is to find a teaching course which does C++.
    All the great developer i know start from early ages so i feel like i kind of start a little late.I only start learnig 2 years ago and until now can only do simple qml and javascript logic and extending some c++ function(learn from example).If there are no more c++ class where do these days programmer learn c++ from.

If you go for a computer science degree you are able to do self-learning quite easily.
    I think, the mentioned book is quite good for a self-learner even without any science degree. Therefore, I recommended it the first place. Just start and do a bit every day! The chapter style of that book supports that every-day-approach very well. It does not bite. And thanks to Stackoverflow you have a big helpful community to answer every question.

Thanks for that feedback. I am also a self learner, and always looking for good resoources.

I took C++ years ago, and it was torturous. Having much better time with the above mentioned book.

Thanks all.I think self learning approach shoul be sufficent.Maybe i can handle c++ better since i know qml basic plus compiling and creating project.

Just start and do a bit every day! The chapter style of that book supports that every-day-approach very well. It does not bite
    Hopefully i don't have to bite myself or sratch my head till bald reading this book.
    Last edited by newflyeraccount; 2014-04-20 at 14:47. Reason: This time my post is no longer censored and wait for moderator approval

Nokia Developer Champion

When it comes to C++ I'm self tought myself. I had one course on plain C at university (and several on different kinds of Assembler - which I guess was quite helpful) but basically I come from learning Java and then C#. Languages like Java and C# are a lot easier to use even though they are slower. You'll still learn the basic concepts of how to partition your software into classes and methods/functions. Having that basic knowledge is very helpful when switching to C++.

For most use cases C#/Java are fast enough anyway. For some - like image processing - you will need full power. So my personal experience is that current platforms make it quite easy to write most of your application using managed languages that operate at a higher level and only drop down to C++ when you really need that kind of raw power. And when you're going there you can also improve further by using stuff like NEON SIMD instructions.

As far as learning is concerned - my advice would be to learn from an actual project once you've covered the basics. This might be writing an imaging App and doing custom filters in C++ just to familiarize yourself with that language. You'll also run into real problems that you would not come across when following a curriculum which far too often focuses on "standard problems" that aren't all that common in day to day work.

I don't think that you're really too old at some level to start programming. It might take you longer to get into the details than at a younger age (because after all we do learn faster when younger) but you'll still be able to master it. All in all it comes down to experience which you gain from doing actual development. The languages themselves aren't that hard (but people still make lots of mistakes).

Just bought "sam learn c++ in one hour a day".It quite different from what i expected because it seems to focus on computer and certain stuff is different from what i learned about Qt c++. Maybe i should have buy a Qt c++ book but i guess all c++ language is the same.

The book doesn't seems to cater for those with zero progarmming experience as the book claim as the first section does teach you to run "hello world" but explain little about compiling and IDE to be used.

I have a free ebook copy and anyone wish a copy can please post here a request (No PM please) and i will pm you back.Only forum veteran will be given.I already follow this community almost everyday since 2012 using other name.

Quote Originally Posted by newflyeraccount View Post
    Just bought "sam learn c++ in one hour a day".It quite different from what i expected because it seems to focus on computer and certain stuff is different from what i learned about Qt c++. Maybe i should have buy a Qt c++ book but i guess all c++ language is the same.
    Yes, you are right, Qt uses special notation and special tools, which are certainly not covered in a C++ book. While C++ is C++, so the language concepts will be useful for Qt too, a generic C++ book (this one or any other) will not tell anything about event-driven environments, and sticks with console based user interaction (the cin/cout streams) all the time.
    The book doesn't seems to cater for those with zero progarmming experience as the book claim as the first section does teach you to run "hello world" but explain little about compiling and IDE to be used.
    This is a real issue, there are just too many environments available nowadays (OS-es, compilers, IDE-s), the author only mentions that the code snippets are tested with Visual C++ 2010 and GCC 4.6. Also, as he is an MVP for Visual Studio/Visual C++, he is most likely assuming the usage of Visual Studio, where a default project creates something runnable already.
    What tools are you using (OS-compiler-IDE)? It may come with some getting started guide, explaining the steps of creating, compiling and running some simple code (usually a Hello World).

Yes, you are right, Qt uses special notation and special tools, which are certainly not covered in a C++ book. While C++ is C++, so the language concepts will be useful for Qt too, a generic C++ book (this one or any other) will not tell anything about event-driven environments, and sticks with console based user interaction (the cin/cout streams) all the time.
    At least this book help me in understanding c++ syntax and it's term like "void","enum","const" all this stuff.Understanding this term help me to learn Qt easier.

This is a real issue, there are just too many environments available nowadays (OS-es, compilers, IDE-s), the author only mentions that the code snippets are tested with Visual C++ 2010 and GCC 4.6. Also, as he is an MVP for Visual Studio/Visual C++, he is most likely assuming the usage of Visual Studio, where a default project creates something runnable already.
    What tools are you using (OS-compiler-IDE)? It may come with some getting started guide, explaining the steps of creating, compiling and running some simple code (usually a Hello World).
    I currently use Qt Creator as my IDE.The OS depend on what device i use.I have QtSdk for symbian development and Qt Creator 3 for BlackBerry development.With my currently skill i can create simple apps with javascript function but when come to c++,i know very very basic stuff only.
    Last edited by newflyeraccount; 2014-05-05 at 15:04. Reason: If Os is suppose to mean computer than it is window 7 starter(netbook)