Discussion Board

Acquire IMEI id from both sim cards

Hello!

According to NokiaX specifications, it has two sim card slots. Will it have two different IMEI ids as a result of TelephonyManager.getDeviceId call, depending on what sim card is active at the moment?
    I've seen some dualsim android devices that suffered from that problem. Should we be concerned about that, if we want to use IMEI as a part of unique device id?
    Some manufacturers of android devices provide developers with java functions to retrieve both IMEIs. But I couldn't find such methods in NokiaX SDK.

Super Contributor

Re: Acquire IMEI id from both sim cards

Quote Originally Posted by myrth View Post
    Hello!

According to NokiaX specifications, it has two sim card slots. Will it have two different IMEI ids as a result of TelephonyManager.getDeviceId call, depending on what sim card is active at the moment?
    I've seen some dualsim android devices that suffered from that problem. Should we be concerned about that, if we want to use IMEI as a part of unique device id?
    Some manufacturers of android devices provide developers with java functions to retrieve both IMEIs. But I couldn't find such methods in NokiaX SDK.
    IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identifier) identifies the device (think of it as the phone's "serial number", of sorts). IMSI (International Mobile Subscriber Identifier) identifies the SIM card (who's contract the mobile subscription, who pays the bills). That is, think of it as the "serial number" of the SIM card. So, the IMEI is (or should be) independent of whether you have one, two or no SIM cards in the phone, I'd say. And each SIM card has its own IMSI.
    Last edited by Symbian_Neil; 2014-03-27 at 13:17. Reason: Changed the last word which might have been a typo

Nokia Developer Moderator

Actually there are two separate "phones" there as such, thus there is indeed two IMEI numbers for each device as well. Anyway, Nokia X offering does not offer any specific API for retrieving IMEI numbers, thus I would suggest checking whether there is anything on AOSP 4.1.2 that could help on getting this issue solved.

I've just got the device and made some tests. So, if anyone is interested - here it is

NokiaX has two different IMEI numbers. They can be accessed through TelephonyManager::getDeviceId(Int), which is available via reflection. The result of the standard TelephonyManager::getDeviceId() DOES CHANGE depending on the sim slot currenlty active. So, keep it in mind if you want to use this function as a device id in your app.

Nokia Developer Administrator

Hi myrth, Welcome to the Nokia Developer Community. This is great information, glad you figured it out.

I'm sure others will have this same question in the future. Care to get some DVLUP points and try for a free Nokia X phone? If so you could consider creating an article about this in the Nokia X Wiki Challenge. You'd need to add more details and link to some sample code, but you have a good start here and it sounds like you'd be creating this code anyway, so why not share?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Just for the record, this thread has been featured and you will find the details here