Discussion Board

Post Symbian 1.2 SDK (for N-Gage QD)

Good afternoon all!

I have joined this community, because I have been on a long road of searching for some really outdated things. As the title, and the place where I post this, suggests, I am looking for the "ancient" Symbian 1.2 SDK. Previously I have read about using this very SDK on UNIX systems - like Mac OS X (BSD based, Darwin kernel - totally UNIX).

My goal is to write a C++ application, that will turn my N-Gage into a "Bluetooth HID Device" - or more specific, a keyboard. I wish to use it for computer games mainly. Since I dont have a bluetooth gamepad, but have C++ skill, I was googling and poking about, and realized that in theory I could do just as I wanted. However, finding the required SDK turned out to be a PITA...

So I wanted to ask:

- Does anybody know where I could obtain the SDK?
    - Is there any place to read up on the C++ API, especially for Bluetooth?

Kind regards,
    Ingwie! =)

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Symbian 1.2 SDK (for N-Gage QD)

It is a difficult question. There was a site renewal a month ago and the Symbian related tools were removed. http://developer.nokia.com/community...ymbian_C%2B%2B is a page where some of them are still available, but the oldest SDK listed there is S60 5th edition. While you would need S60 1st edition, from 10 years ago. I am not sure how you would use it, personally I did it with Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0, a product version which was revoked actually, and certainly did not exist for Mac OS in anyway. Perhaps with the version for Metrowerks CodeWarrior, but that is an other product which does not exist for a long time.
    The separate "official" examples are gone too, however the SDK-s actually had some BT examples bundled with them. You may still find something in the Wiki, the Symbian C++ category page still exists, http://developer.nokia.com/community...ymbian_C%2B%2B, there are some BT stuff under Connectivity.

Super Contributor

I don't know where to find such an old SDK, either, but for background information:

For the N-Gage, there is the "generic" Series 60 SDK (at the time it was not yet renamed to S60), but it is from an era that also used/required MetroWerks CodeWarrior as the development environment (also no longer available, depended on an online licensing system/server, which of course is also no longer available) and there was also a separate N-Gage SDK (never available publicly, but only for game publishers/developers with separate contracts with Nokia) for creating the games and access to some features not available with the regular SDK (e.g., the regular SDK - if my memory serves me correct - wouldn't allow to detect simultanous keypresses, which would most likely be very useful for using the N-Gage as a gamepad; otherwise the N-Gage SDK was mainly for the online gaming features, N-Gage Arena, as well as for tools and libraries for game creation).

Then, the Bluetooth version from that time might not have the Bluetooth HID profile support, and I suspect that with the regular SDK you wouldn't necessarily be able to create an app that makes it look like one to some other device (PC).

Nokia Developer Moderator

Ehm. That "afternoon" was 9 pm for me, so I forgot adding that the Bluetooth stack S60 1st edition is not the most robust of all. Actually the OS is Symbian 6.1, and Symbian 6.0 had no BT support, so this version is really one of the first attempts with BT both from hardware and software side. By that time there were rumors that the BT stack itself had around some 72 known bugs at release time, and inevitably crashed after a certain amount of connection attempts and data transmission.
    For the multiple-keypresses thing, that may work to some extent, CAknAppUi::SetKeyBlockMode call exists for S60 1st edition already, and the hardware itself is certainly designed in a way allowing multiple key presses.

Hey guys! Thanks for all your replies!

I am currently browsing the links that you have posted.

In my case, I would need to obtain the regular 1.2 SDK, as the other one is very likely unobtainable nowdays (i bet Nokia would rather support their newer platforms). For the usage on OS X, there is a tool called sdk2unix, which is sort of a helper thing to compile for the platform - the N-Gage - itself. However, I do need the headers and the other things to have a correct Sysroot, obviously.

It's sad that the SDKs are gone, but if anybody ever happens to get their fingers on this particular one, I'd be glad to know about it! I would email the nokia internals directly and adk for it there, but to me it seems very likely that a stranger's email would end up un-replied o.o'

About the bluetooth thing: I am using my N-Gage with a software called handsFree on the OS X app store...so basically, using my phone as a "phone extension" to my Mac - with calling functionality and things alike. And so far, I had no problems with the bluetooth connection stability.

Kind regards and thanks for your help so far!

- Ingwie

Super Contributor

Well, you can google the SDK package name, there might be copies hosted in free net drives or anonymouse FTPs.

nS60_sdk_v1_2.zip - the Sereis 60 v1.2 SDK for Visual C++
    nS60_v1_2_for_MW.zip - the one for MetroWerks CodeWarrior

BR/Ziteng Chen

Quote Originally Posted by chenziteng View Post
    Well, you can google the SDK package name, there might be copies hosted in free net drives or anonymouse FTPs.

nS60_sdk_v1_2.zip - the Sereis 60 v1.2 SDK for Visual C++
    nS60_v1_2_for_MW.zip - the one for MetroWerks CodeWarrior

BR/Ziteng Chen
    Oh my god. That did it! 4Shared had a file with that name, 90MB. Turns out that was the SDK i was looking for! If i get to it, I will totally rehost it, for the case that soembody else wants it.
    Thanks for the help, now I just need to set it up.

BTW, there is a bluetooth HCI example. And btdevice.h defines a HID entry, so appearently I can totally go for what I wanted to do!

I guess I won't be able to find the original N-Gage SDK for simultanous button pressing, but maybe this one will do. I only wish the classes and stuff hadn't have such complex names... x)

Super Contributor

Glad I can help. As I know the N-Gage SDKs were only available to Nokia's parter-companies under NDA, so I don't think you will find one, have fun with the generic SDK, and good luck!

BR/Ziteng Chen