Discussion Board

Configuring Android Studio to build using Nokia X services SDK

I'm trying to configure Android Studio to build using Nokia X services SDK from this page: http://developer.nokia.com/resources...ser-guide.html.

However, the instructions on that page seems to target an old build of Android Studio. They no longer applies to the latest build. Specifically, AS has moved to using Gradle for building, and hence the Project Structure dialog no longer allows you to set the target sdk.

How can I achieve the same thing from modifying the Gradle scripts? Has anyone done it?

Thanks

Re: Configuring Android Studio to build using Nokia X services SDK

Quote Originally Posted by superkinhluan View Post
    I'm trying to configure Android Studio to build using Nokia X services SDK from this page: http://developer.nokia.com/resources...ser-guide.html.

However, the instructions on that page seems to target an old build of Android Studio. They no longer applies to the latest build. Specifically, AS has moved to using Gradle for building, and hence the Project Structure dialog no longer allows you to set the target sdk.

How can I achieve the same thing from modifying the Gradle scripts? Has anyone done it?

Thanks
    Hi there. I have the same issue, so HERE shows NoClassDefError. I wrote into feedback form about a week ago, but still did not get any response.
    Have you find a solution yet?

Nokia Developer Administrator

I don't know the answer to this but have just requested help on this internally. I'll come back when I have an answer. If anyone has figured out how to do this in the meantime please let us know.
    How can I help?

jennifer.jobart@microsoft.com

Nokia Developer Administrator

Back with an answer.

You don't actually need to set up the Nokia X build target when you use Gradle (one of the many perks of Gradle). You just need to define the dependencies you want to use and if they are correctly set up, Android Studio should work just fine.

You can use the regular API level 16 (Android 4.1.2) SDK. For the Nokia X specific parts you will need to add them as dependencies. We do not yet have those AAR's ready and published, but it is possible to use HERE/NIAP/NNA by taking a look at samples. Each example that uses HERE, NIAP or NNA has a dependency to that defined in the build.gradle. Importing that project to AS/IDEA will put those dependencies to classpath and they will be resolved.

Here are links to the samples:

Those should all work in Android Studio. I'm not sure if all the samples in the SDK do.

Thanks to this question, we have also decided to work on a Nokia X Bootstrap service for new developers to avoid the frustrations in setting up the project. That won't be ready for a while but it is on our roadmap.
    How can I help?

jennifer.jobart@microsoft.com