Discussion Board

Lightbulb My curiosity about Symbian OS

why do Nokia discard symbian os? It is a good os. Here in China, many people still like Symbian phone such e52,e71,e72,e63,because we still like phone with keypad(if the screen can become a little bigger,that will be better),it is also a smart phone os, it can run some essential software,. It is reliable and the battery can last much longer,. some of my friends are still looking for nokia phone like e52,n85, even some of them have andriod phone and iphone(including me). I am very curious why your company give up developing and producing cellpone with keypad using Symbian os. At least, you could produce these phone in a small scale,in some market as supplement just like nokia x and asha os.

Re: My curiosity about Symbian OS

Nokia has been taken over by Microsoft. Symbian OS is no longer the focus. Only Windows Phone and Asha is the focus. Even Nokia X phones are just feeders for Windows Lumia. There will be no Symbian again. Sad but true.

ok, but I have no interest in microsoft WP system, because ios and andriod is the mainstream,with similar function and looking but l lack of software, I won't choose WP for sure. Seems like "Trojan horse" has won the company but lost the market and we people's will.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by rselva123 View Post
    Nokia has been taken over by Microsoft. Symbian OS is no longer the focus. Only Windows Phone and Asha is the focus. Even Nokia X phones are just feeders for Windows Lumia. There will be no Symbian again. Sad but true.
    Remember that putting random true statements next to each other does not necessarily create a reasoning chain. Symbian was abandoned 3 years ago, the Microsoft merger completed 2 weeks ago. Nokia X is just a couple months old too.

JW2014: the trick is that everything is in past tense for a long time, the year was 2011, when Nokia (which existed that time) discarded, gave up, etc. There were plenty of analysis, debate, etc., you can still find the articles, discussions on the Internet. For example my opinion is in http://developer.nokia.com/community...iOS-vs-Android, from 2.5 years ago.