Discussion Board

Super Contributor

Connecting to PC with 3360 without IrDA

Posted by Saqib Rasool, alsaqib@hotmail.com
    on January 16, 2002 at 17:29

I am trying to figure out if I can download my outlook contacts to 3360 phone without using InfraRED port. Unfortunately my PC doesn't have IR port... Any help or comments would be appreciated.

Super Contributor

RE: Connecting to PC with 3360 without IrDA

Posted by Kevin Kolmetz, kkolmetz@altavista.com
    on January 16, 2002 at 18:49

I too have been trying to use an IrDA connection with my 3360, but trying to upload ring tones. I have been moving my files I want to upload/sync to an old laptop with an IR port and that works if you download the Nokia PC Suite from the Nokia website. You need to buy the USB connection IrDA port from Tiger Direct. It's like $35.00.

i have a bafo infrared to usb... isn't working.

i've seen in a couple of places that the infrared won't work unless it's integrated into the computer, not an adapter.

3360 has no other way to connect to a PC that i know of. it has no cable connection or anything, or at least i couldn't find any reference to one, since i was looking hard for one after i bought this IrDA and it failed to work.

"Solved: USB IRDA issue with 3360 and 6360 for Win98 & Win2K.
    I spent several days of intense IRDA software head-banging, but I finally got my external USB "U4-IRDA" to work with my 3360 and 6360. I can now use PC Suite 4.4 with all the features. I bought the USB "U4-IRDA" from the web at(http://www.usbgear.com/usa/usb-irda.cfm). Don't get the U2-IRDA. At first it didn't work. Then I went on the Nokia forum and saw that other people were having the same problem with external USB IRDA's, and that typically only a laptop with built-in IR port would work. Then I contacting the manufacturer with this 'built-in' issue and they updated their USB IRDA driver that specifically communicates to the 3360 and 6360. The contact to get this driver is (john.he@actisys.com). The other thing that is key is unload the microsoft IR driver in your computer before installing this updated USB IR driver. And also remember to NOT connect the USB IR to your computer until the new driver prompts you for it. Otherwise, the default windows driver get's installed as plug-and-play and causes issues.

Anyway, I really hope this helps others save the head-ache that I went through. And I'm glad this forum exists, otherwise I never would have realized it wasn't just me having the issue

if you are using BAFO(simtel) usb-IR then you may try the following

This is the solution that I found from irda.org newsgroup and I have verified it. thanks to wouter.

Re: More Nokia 7210 IrDA Issues - 3/10/2003 - wouter
    Message Text:

go to control panel / wireless link / hardware / properties / advanced, and select Vishay 6101E, trunaround=1 Ms / speed enable=115200. It will work.

6360, Outlook and irda

I have a 6360, Laptop with internal irda and use Outlook. The phone book editor works fine creating phone book entries over irda, and my Jornada talks to the phone fine also, but when I try to sync contacts to the 6360, the PC Suite says it can't open Outlook (which is already open...) and shuts the connection down. The irda and communication obvioulsy works - does anyone have any suggestions for me.

Also, the docs refer to a "troubleshooting" document in the PC Suite 4 Program group, which near as I can tell only exists in the mind of the person authoring the docs...

Any help appreciated.