Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Kernel source for Nokia X firmware 1.1.2.2

HI. as per thread title, i need Kernel source for Nokia X firmware 1.1.2.2. from where could i obtain it?
    as far as i know, Nokia only released source for older Kernel on firmware 10.x.x and probably 11.x.x but not for newer firmware 1.1.2.2 which Nokia should already release because Kernels are under GPL license, no matter if requested or not.
    Thanks.

Re: Kernel source for Nokia X firmware 1.1.2.2

hello? anyone home?
    Last edited by mdfzhi; 2014-05-27 at 21:37.

Nokia Developer Champion

This forum is mainly community driven and not every post is getting read by Nokia personell (Forum Moderators and Developer Champions are not Nokia employees).

As the Linux Kernel is GPLv2 it is not necessary to release the code without a request. To cite section 3 of GPLv2:

3. You may copy and distribute the Program (or a work based on it, under Section 2) in object code or executable form under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above provided that you also do one of the following:

a) Accompany it with the complete corresponding machine-readable source code, which must be distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange; or,

b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three years, to give any third party, for a charge no more than your cost of physically performing source distribution, a complete machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code, to be distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange; or,

c) Accompany it with the information you received as to the offer to distribute corresponding source code. (This alternative is allowed only for noncommercial distribution and only if you received the program in object code or executable form with such an offer, in accord with Subsection b above.)
    see: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html

So only releasing it upon request is permitted by the license.

For a more direct way to contact the platform developers I'd suggest to use the platform-feedback form as available here:
    http://developer.nokia.com/contact/dev-feedback

Nokia Developer Administrator

Hi mdfzhi

This is Jen from Nokia. I hadn't seen this thread yet but SB Dev was kind enough to bring it to my attention.

I am working with the team in Finland to get you the kernel source. We do not currently have it available online but we are working on that. That will likely not happen in the next few days since the weekend just started in Europe. In the meantime, if you would like a physical CD mailed to you, please send me your physical mailing address; either by direct messaging me through the discussion board, or by emailing me at jennifer.jobart@microsoft.com.
    How can I help?

jennifer.jobart@microsoft.com

One of the engineers on the team took time out of his weekend to get back to me. :-)

We have provided the source code to one of our users, and he has uploaded it to his Github account. You can fork it from there. We can also send you a CD if you'd prefer to go that route.
    How can I help?

thanks for the offer but i don't need hardcopy cd, git source is fine.

but the source from the git u linked is old, for firmware 10.0.3. i already obtain that.
    from my observation, Nokia used newer kernel source for latest firmware 1.1.2.2, something has changed in it because ram reserve for userspace got raised from original 380mb in firmware 10.0.3 and 11.1.1 to 410mb in latest firmware 1.1.2.2. Nokia did something in the kernel source, especially in pmem/ion reserve in boardconfig. i need to know what changed, hence i'm requesting for full kernel source for latest firmware 1.1.2.2. but if i'm wrong regarding this matter and Nokia did use the same old kernel source as firmware 10.0.3 and 11.1.1 on latest firmware 1.1.2.2, do correct me.

thanks again for your attention in this matter.
    Last edited by mdfzhi; 2014-05-25 at 22:12.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Hi, I see you are online right now and checking this thread. Jen resides in the USA, thus it is early morning there, and in addition they will have a holiday today (Memorial Day). So it may happen that she will not answer until tomorrow. (We/I can not help as moderators and champions are 3rd party enthusiasts, and we simply do not know who maintains the Nokia X source codes)
    There is a Thread Tools "menu" above the posts, there the "Subscribe to this Thread..." option can enable e-mail notifications about whatever happens in this discussion. Also, it can be reverted later, via http://developer.nokia.com/community...php?folderid=0 (longer way: Forum Actions, General Settings, Subscriptions)

no worrries, i understand everyone got real life outside the internet

thanks.

OK mdfzhi I'll check and get back to you.
    How can I help?

Hi mdfzhi,

The only way we can get a different version to you is through the following process. Let me know if you have questions.

Jen

Microsoft Mobile offers to provide you with the source code for these files. Please send a written request, along with the relevant details (software name and version), to:

Source Code Requests
    Microsoft Mobile Oy
    Keilalahdentie 2-4
    02150 Espoo
    Finland

This offer is valid for a period of three (3) years from the date of the distribution of this product by Microsoft Mobile Oy.
    How can I help?

by your reply i assume the kernel source really changed in the newest firmware 1.1.2.2, just as i thought. glad to hear that.
    so i need to write a real, hardcopy letter and send to finland?
    i'm in asia, writing letter and sending to finland probably not the best way for me. any other way perhaps? by email or filling online form?

thanks.

I actually have not been able to confirm that it's changed, but I assume so as well.

Yes, I know that snail mail is not the most convenient way but it's currently the process that we've agreed to with our various departments. I'm sorry about that.
    How can I help?

yes, seriously troublesome to get ahold of something that should be easy

I told my friend in the Russia to send the letter to Microsoft Mobile in Finland, it is sent yesterday. So I hope Nokia guys release the source code soon after you received the letter, and I will upload the source to my GitHub as soon as I received the source.

Thanks
    Last edited by AngSanley; 2014-05-30 at 09:18. Reason: typo

That would be really helpful, AngSanley. Thank you.
    How can I help?