Discussion Board

How can I influence the ringtone name after download to handset?

Hi, I've developed an application to send polyphonic ringtones via WAP to handsets. Basically the handset is sent the Midi file with HTTP-header Content-type: audio/midi. Everything plays ok, the handset can save the ringtone etc, but the problem is the ringtone title.

When the phone is playing the ringtone (before saving) it displays "No title for tone' (e.g. on Nokia7210). And when saving, it presents "No title" as starting point for the ringtone name.

How can I influence the title that the handset picks up?

The Midi format allows to include title information, but apparently the use of that field in the Midi file is not standardised internationally (In Japan it has been agreed with handset mfg, but not internationally). So how can I tell the handset what title to use?

I tried OMA Download OTA with a Download Descriptor, but that is not supported (yet) by most phones, I think. Is there another method?

I'd appreciate any hints and tips a lot!

Ronald

It could be the same way that browsers handle dynamically created streams.
    Try to add this HTTP header:

Content-disposition: attachment; filename=yourfilename

Help

How i can create a wap page with midi ringtones downloads???

Hello,

We are struggling with the same issue. The file name is sets (populated as the default during save) on the 3650 but, the 3300, 6200, 6800 and 3595 are not "seeing" the file name. The end user must type the file name when saving a ringer on the 3300, 6200, 6800 and 3595.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
    Mardi

Super Contributor
    Hi,

We are struggling with the same issue. The file name is sets (populated as the default during save) on the 3650 but, the 3300, 6200, 6800 and 3595 are not "seeing" the file name. The end user must type the file name when saving a ringer on the 3300, 6200, 6800 and 3595.
    Are you using COD for downloading or do you use straight download?

Best regards,
    V / Forum Nokia

Hi,

I too would like to know the solution. Currently struggling to set the file name for true tones downloaded to 3300. I have successfully use Content-Disposition header for polyphonic ringtones for 7210, etc but this does not work for true tone. Any clue? I am streaming the bytes thru ServletOutputStream. I also tried pulling the .awb file using a WAP pull but still in vain.

Can u also advise what COD is and if it will solve the filename problem?

Rgds

For COD see the Nokia Content Publishing Toolkit. As I know its a proprietary DRM.

Super Contributor
    Hi,

For COD see the Nokia Content Publishing Toolkit. As I know its a proprietary DRM.
    COD is a content download mechanism and it has nothing to do with DRM. Well, you can also download protected (DRM) content using COD. More information about COD can be found from Forum Nokia.

And yes, using COD might solve your filename problem.

Best regards,
    V / Forum Nokia

thx

The main problem is still that 'proprietary'

Super Contributor
    Hi,

The main problem is still that 'proprietary'
    I didn't notice that you're developing for other than Nokia phones too. I don't know if other vendors have any download mechanisms, but OMA is trying to solve this problem with OMA DD. It is an open standard that all the main vendors will support it in some phase. At least Nokia already has some terminals supporting it.

Best regards,
    V / Forum Nokia

OK

To tell the truth I'd be glad if there would be only one standard for all the handsets. Or if there would be only one type of handsets but those quirky owners... they just buy that other ones, and don't even think about the problems they cause with this

Nokia Developer Expert
    We have the same prblem here..

In PHP we do the following:

$rtid=" It is obtained from MySQL..eg: /midis/dance/polyphonic.mid ";

$extension = strrchr($rtid, ".");

if ($extension==".mid"){
    $mimeType = "audio/midi";
    }
    elseif ($extension==".wav"){
    $mimeType = "audio/wav";
    }
    elseif ($extension==".amr"){
    $mimeType = "audio/AMR";
    }
    elseif ($extension==".mmf"){
    $mimeType = "application/vnd.smaf";
    };

Header ("Content-type: $mimeType");
    Header ("Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=$rtid");
    readfile("$rtid");

The problem is that anyone downloading through wap will get the ringtone name as "midi.php" which is the name of the PHP file

The bigger problem is that even when the user renames the ringtone in recorder.. it changes from "midi.php" to "thenewname.php"

Without changing the extention!

Re: How can I influence the ringtone name after download to handset?

Any updates regarding the above issue, We are facing the same problem that the ringtone (or any downloadable item) takes the same name of the dynamic page used to generate the binary response. Is there any way we can change this behaviour?