Discussion Board

Nokia Developer Champion

Windows Phone 8.1 Windows.Media.Capture API and Preview Frames

While it's quite easy to access preview frames from the camera using the APIs from WP8.0 this is currently not part of the new converged APIs. The only references I could find so far on how to gain access is by writing a custom MFT and that reference is from a part of the MSDN that is targetd at hardware developers, see: https://dev.windowsphone.com/en-US/O...n_managed_code

Has anyone so far dealt with this issue (the APIs already existed on Win 8 previously)? I'd be happy if a simpler solution existed or perhaps a ready made sample.

Regular Contributor

Re: Windows Phone 8.1 Windows.Media.Capture API and Preview Frames

Quote Originally Posted by SB Dev View Post
    While it's quite easy to access preview frames from the camera using the APIs from WP8.0 this is currently not part of the new converged APIs. The only references I could find so far on how to gain access is by writing a custom MFT and that reference is from a part of the MSDN that is targetd at hardware developers, see: https://dev.windowsphone.com/en-US/O...n_managed_code

Has anyone so far dealt with this issue (the APIs already existed on Win 8 previously)? I'd be happy if a simpler solution existed or perhaps a ready made sample.
    I just got it working. I'm sure there are probably other ways to get to the data using some of the other methods from MediaCapture, but I ended up modifying one of the sample MediaFoundation Transforms (Grayscale Transform was the easiest) in the Media Extensions sample for Universal Apps. My app is in C#, but all of the Imaging SDK stuff is done in C++ inside the MF transform. I ended up converting the source byte array to a Nokia Bitmap, applied all my filters, rendered to a new Bitmap using the Yuv420Sp ColorMode (NV12 is what my Lumia 920 likes to output), then copied the IBuffer inside that Bitmap to the native output char array that the MF transform expects.

In the C# portion, I use the MediaCapture.AddEffectAsync method to add the transform.

You'll have to manually edit your Manifest file to register the transform with Media Foundation. (open the sample's manifest file in an XML viewer to see how).

I haven't measured frame rates yet, but it seems maybe a tad faster than the "real-time demo" that's in the wiki? I have no idea yet.

This is the sample:
    http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/wpapp...ssions#content

PS - And read the Q & A part of the sample's webpage. There's a weird bug for ARM-Release versions where it won't compile unless you add a namespace with a dummy class in it.

Regular Contributor

This is a sample video recorded using the CartoonFilter encoded down to QVGA size. I'm still playing with the settings and the Record function uses different sizes than the Preview function. I believe this recorded defaulted to 1080p capture, but I'm betting the downscaling happened before the cartoon transform was applied. The Preview was still running at QVGA resolution with the transform added, so I'm sure I can improve this with some creativity.

In any case, it's working. I can write up a wiki page for it and post a sample solution when I have a clean one ready later. I need to come up with something cool to do to make it count towards the contest.

http://1drv.ms/TfSodJ

EDIT: I'm having problems playing this in SkyDrive's video player... download it and it works fine in VLC.

Nokia Developer Champion

Thx a lot for the info. I'm only trying to get access to the info right now to be able to scan for QR codes from a Universal App using ZXing.Net. The ZXing sample for WinRT is far from the performance of the WP8.0 one.

If you could write a Wiki article on this accompanied by a sample that would definitely be great. I have found the question pop up several times on the Internet but never really a well made answer or a complete sample, so I'd guess that it would help a lot of people who are running into this issue.

Nokia Developer Champion

If you want camera preview, look here : http://developer.nokia.com/resources...me-filter-demo
    Windows 8, Windows phone 8 or Nokia Asha developer? Go to DVLUP

Regular Contributor

When I was struggling to get my C++ stuff working, I found the CameraImagePreviewSource but it did not occur to me to use it in C#.

Your solution looks good.

Nokia Developer Moderator

FYI This thread has been featured and you can find details here