Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Contributor

Cool How to install external packages.vsix files on to microsoft visual studio 2012

My actual target is to install The Microsoft HLS SDK for windows phone and windows store applications.

According to Microsoft HLS SDK Developer Guide v1.0

It says

The Microsoft HLS SDK (referred to as the SDK henceforth) is a set of components to assist you (the developer) in building Windows Store applications that can play back streaming video delivered over the HTTP Live Streaming (HLS) protocol.

Hence to install HLS SDK It says we need to run Microsoft.HLSClient.Setup.vsix package from command line

How to go to command line optons and install or run ?

I have installed both

Visual studio express 2012 for windows 8

visual studio express 2012 fro windows phone

please help me

I tried using nuget package manager console but says invalid commands etc

PM> Install-Package
    cmdlet Install-Package at command pipeline position 1
    Supply values for the following parameters:
    Id: Microsoft.HLSClient.Setup.vsix
    Install-Package : Unable to find package 'Microsoft.HLSClient.Setup.vsix'.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Install-Package
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: ( [Install-Package], InvalidOper
    ationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NuGetCmdletUnhandledException,NuGet.PowerShell.C
    ommands.InstallPackageCommand

PM>
    Last edited by GTO_India; 2014-06-11 at 09:29.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: How to install external packages.vsix files on to microsoft visual studio 2012

All search hits for your question find various cross-posts on other sites (Microsoft/MSDN, StackOverflow, perhaps some more), so there may be some typo or misinterpretation in your question.
    Searching for vsix, various hits can be found otherwise, like http://superuser.com/questions/73675...-visual-studio.

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: How to install external packages.vsix files on to microsoft visual studio 2012

Visual Studio Express Editions don't support VSIX extensions. You would need a commercial version like VS2013 Pro in order to be able to use that package.

see: http://superuser.com/questions/67793...o-express-2013

Super Contributor

Cool Re: How to install external packages.vsix files on to microsoft visual studio 2012

Yes I have tried to follow a suggestion from your link http://superuser.com/questions/73675...-visual-studio

The 8th one

i.e

The above answers didn't help me; I couldn't install it through the extension manager and there was not default application for .vsix. However, I needed to open it (right click > Open with...) with Microsoft Visual Studio Version Selector and it worked.

But according to the pdf Microsoft HLS SDK Developer Guide v1.0

2. Installing the SDK
    The SDK is delivered as an Extension SDK for Microsoft Visual Studio 2012. To install it, run the Microsoft.HLSClient.Setup.vsix package from the command line.
    3. Referencing the SDK from your application
    Once you have installed the SDK, to refer to the SDK from your application, open the Add Reference dialog and select Windows Extensions. You should see Microsoft HLS Client SDK listed in newscrshot image

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	newscrshot.jpg 
Views:	638 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	1593

Iam not seeing or finding Microsoft HLS Client SDK in the list

Name:	myHLSscrshot.jpg 
Views:	621 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	1594

Super Contributor

ok let me check with VS2012 Pro then

Super Contributor

Can anybody give me the download link for visual pro 2012 . The net download is not happening smoothly.

Thanks

-- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Super Contributor

Can I install external packages like "Microsoft.HLSClient.Setup.vsix package" if I download and install VS2012_PRO then?

My target is to stream a hls stream using hls sdk on widnows store apps and windows phone apps.

I m following pdf Microsoft HLS SDK Developer Guide v1.0

Does such SDK really exist? I am rather tempted to remove this thread completely.
    If it exists, why it is not possible to find anything regarding it, except for your question everywhere?
    If it happens to be some closed, partner-only SDK, you are probably not supposed to talk about it on public sites.
    Even if it is a real Microsoft SDK, and we consider that Nokia is a Microsoft label now, this question is cross posted on MSDN, http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...oolsforwinapps, which is still "more Microsoft" than Nokia Developer. Also there the answer says generally you need VS 2010 or later for using VSIX extensions. VS 2012 should meet with that requirement. Poster also says there he has no idea what SDK you are talking about.
    If "Microsoft HLS SDK Developer Guide v1.0" exists, it probably tells the requirements for installing the SDK.

Super Contributor

can you please google for "Microsoft HLS SDK Developer Guide v1.0" for SDK installation details.

only VS 2012 mentioned and not pro or express version mentioned

Nokia Developer Champion

The only HLS SDK I can find for WP8 is this: https://www.3ivx.com/technology/wind...streaming.html

You can't install VSIX extensions in Express Versions of Visual Studio. If you have some installation guide it would be better to give us a link to where it can be found instead of having us look through the internet ourselves. The document you're mentioning is not being found by Google.

Yep, me too. The first 5-6 hits are replicates of this question.
    A link is provided by Lucian in #7. It says "Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2012" to me, so that one is expected to support extensions. However it will likely ask for a license key.

Banned

Ok I will update you Iam working vs pro 2012 I will give the results here.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    Does such SDK really exist? I am rather tempted to remove this thread completely.
    If it exists, why it is not possible to find anything regarding it, except for your question everywhere?
    If it happens to be some closed, partner-only SDK, you are probably not supposed to talk about it on public sites.
    Even if it is a real Microsoft SDK, and we consider that Nokia is a Microsoft label now, this question is cross posted on MSDN, http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...oolsforwinapps, which is still "more Microsoft" than Nokia Developer. Also there the answer says generally you need VS 2010 or later for using VSIX extensions. VS 2012 should meet with that requirement. Poster also says there he has no idea what SDK you are talking about.
    If "Microsoft HLS SDK Developer Guide v1.0" exists, it probably tells the requirements for installing the SDK.

Name:	hlscrshot.jpg 
Views:	441 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	1595

Please go thru the above scrshot and help me

I have installed VS pro 2013 and updated to 8.1

Iam not follwoing the points 2 and 3 How to install the vsix package from the command line

I have double clicked on ""Microsoft.HLSClient.Setup"" which is a vsix file

Name:	hlsscrshot 2.jpg 
Views:	421 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	1596

when I go and search in Add reference section as mentone in the 3rd point Iam not seeing "Microsoft HLS Client SDK'

Please guide me.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    I vote to close the thread.