Discussion Board

Integrate Nokia Camera app with another WP apps

Hi,

Is it possible to use/integrate/call Nokia Camera app with another Windows Phone apps?

I'm creating an APP that calls the default WP camera. But I'd like to work with DNG pics, and only Nokia Camera app supports it.

I understand this will lower my target market, but there's no problem; the app will have a really specific purpose.

Thanks a lot,
    Vini

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Integrate Nokia Camera app with another WP apps

The way you interact with the camera app is by using the CameraCaptureTask.

This will take the user to the default camera app on the system, that will allow the user to take a picture and revert control back to your app when its done. You then capture the event of that and decide what to do with the photo taken. Now the trick is that the photo that will be provided to you is the JPG. The DNG is saved to the same folder on the camera roll but with a different name. It wont be streamed directly to your app.

Plus to that, it will all depend on the user having the 5mp + DNG option selected on setting on the camera. Thats not something you can change from your app.

Thanks a lot João,

But when I use CameraCaptureTask the phone opens the original Windows Phone camera, even though the default camera on the device I'm testing is Nokia Camera.
    I have to say that when I press the hardware camera button the phone launches the Nokia Camera app.

Vinicius

Hi Vinicius,

I did a bit or digging myself and there seems to be no way to invoke third party camera apps from your app, with the CameraCaptureTask. It uses the default camera app because Nokia Camera as you know is not available for all devices, I'm guessing.

Nokia Developer Champion

You may give a try with LaunchUriAsync, to launch other apps(Lens app probably, hopefully Nokia camera app is there in lens apps hub), but thinking would the pics clicked this way would be returned to code(i.e. would one get the raw image bytes). May be its possible to get the clicked picture then from the photo hub and then process it accordingly.

Nokia Developer Champion

Unfortunately there is no way to call the Nokia Camera App. Some other Camera Apps however have defined LaunchURIs that allow another App to call it with specific settings and receive an Image back. Theoretically you should be able to read the DNG files themselves from the Image Library after they have been taken using Nokia Camera with Windows Phone 8.1 (with WP8.0 you don't get folder level access to the Media Library).

I had needed this kind of calling the Nokia Camera App, but I had found no way to do it. Had to settle for the default camera app.

And yes, you would have issues regarding it running on all devices as Nokia camera is not available on some lower end devices running Windows Phone 8.0. But with 8.1 this fact has changed (atleast thats what I understand..correct me if I am wrong on this one)

Thanks a lot for all answers!

For now, I'll try to get the DNG files from the Image Library.
    Last edited by viniciusgarc; 2014-07-28 at 21:29.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by viniciusgarc View Post
    Thanks a lot for all answers!

For now, I'll try to get the DNG files from the Image Library.
    Normally you can acces to dng with a WP8.1 or universal API. I'm not sure which give acces to all files.
    Windows 8, Windows phone 8 or Nokia Asha developer? Go to DVLUP