Discussion Board

Split Video into Frames

Is there any way to capture video (or use an existing video) and split off certain frames (say every other frame or every 3rd frame, whatever) into separate image files?

I've seen some examples of converting a video into a byte array, but still not sure about using that to extract frames from to convert to images.

Thanks for any assistance.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Split Video into Frames

If you provide links to those examples, it is a lot easier to comment what they do. Generally it is doubtful that WP would provide built-in, per-frame handler API-s for video files.
    There are at least two well-known, open source video handler code kits, FFMPEG (https://www.ffmpeg.org/) and VideoLAN (http://www.videolan.org/), while none of the two is ready-made for WP8, it should be possible to port some parts of them.

Regular Contributor

Your best bet is going to be to use Media Foundation. It is very similar to how Nokia Imaging works. You start with a source (the video file), then you apply transforms to it (split the audio and video, decode the audio, decode the video, etc), then you "render" it to a sink... something that will let you output it via video or audio speakers. The nice thing is that if your video plays already on Windows Phone, then all you have to do is write one Transform filter that will insert itself into the pipeline and copy frames to a separate sink.

It's not going to be easy. You need to be comfortable with C++ and endure a lot of trial and error. But it's doable. And there are a few samples you can directly copy to start from. Media Extensions sample in the Universal Windows app samples (on Microsoft's site) is where you want to start.

It's either that or find some paid solution. But I'm not sure they exist yet...

Thanks for the great replies. Although I can develop in C++, I'd just as soon move on to other projects I have on tap. It's too bad this functionality isn't OOTB for the Imaging SDK but I suspect that you can only do so much with the power available on these phones at this time. Maybe the IP cross licensing agreement Microsoft and Canon just did will broaden the base capabilities of the framework for stuff like this.